Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi connection to hotspot with Gateway Web Page Login problem

Hi,

I am at a hotel and I want to connect to the hotel wifi hotspot with my macbook pro.

In order to access the internet I should get a gateway web page in Safari or Firefox to type in my login and password.

Unfortunately, Airport is on and detects the wifi and connects to it perfectly but I only get a blank page in Safari and Firefox so I can't login...

Let me state that I can connect to the hotspot perfectly with my iphone and with windows 7 (bootcamp) and the gateway page loads without a problem.

The problem is in snow leopard.

Here's what I've done to try to fix it but in vain.

I flushed the DNS cache in terminal

I deleted the Airport connection in Network Preferences, I deleted all my previously saved wifi hotpots and recreated a new Airport connection with a new name. (It discovers the network, connects to it but still a blank page).

When I click advanced with my connection on to the hotel hotspot, I can see the domain suffix, the gateway address, the ip that is assigned to me.

Btw the osx firewall is completely disabled, Netbarrier X5 is also completely disabled. I can ping the gateway without a problem.

I tried rebooting with command option p r (didn't help)

I tried deleting the folder Library/preferences/systemconfiguration to reset the network settings

I deleted all the logins saved in my keychain

I did a reset and safari that didn't work

It's not the hardware since I can connect with windows 7 in bootcamp.

I can connect to other wifi networks (no web gateway login though).

Nothing is working... This is not a mac issue since I have collegues with the same macbook and osx 10.6.2 setup that connect to the hotspot hence why it's driving me crazy... It's not a hotspot issue since it's working with everyone, my iphone, bootcamp, etc...

I'm pretty good with figuring out solutions to windows problems but I've been a mac user for only a year. I might have forgotten or simply be unaware of other things that can be done to fix this issue.

I am at a total lost and so I need you mac gurus to help me because I'm here for a week and all my stuff is on the mac side so using the bootcamp partition is a no go for me.

TY in advance !

MacBook Pro (early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 12:16 PM

3 replies

Jan 20, 2010 1:00 PM in response to superded

Try this to get more info...

1) Reset Safari under Safari -> Reset Safari
2) Close Safari after it starts back up (and probably gives you that blank page again. If not, stop here, it's fixed. 🙂
3) Open a Terminal

Execute:

sudo tcpdump -ni en1 -Xvs0 tcp port 80

... and enter your password when prompted.

4) Open Safari and go to a webpage.

5) Go back to the terminal, stop it, and send over anything that showed up in the terminal window.

Wifi connection to hotspot with Gateway Web Page Login problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.