Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drives Mysteriously Losing Read/Write Privileges...

I am currently running 10.5.8 OSX and for some reason all of my external hard drives are mysteriously losing their Read/Write privileges on my Mac Pro. I have not altered anything within my account or settings to my knowledge. I continue to have to unmount the drive, connect it to my MacBook Pro, reset the privileges, then re-mount to the Mac Pro to get it to Read Write. What could be causing this?

Mac Pro 2x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xenon, 8GB Memory 4 TB HDD, 30" Cinema Display, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Final Cut Pro Studio 6.0.6 - QuickTime Pro 7.6.2

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 4:12 PM

1 reply

Jan 21, 2010 2:02 AM in response to kdengs

HI,

Try repairing disk permissions...

Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Carolyn 🙂

External Hard Drives Mysteriously Losing Read/Write Privileges...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.