Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Studio Pro 4.2.1 and Blu Ray

If I buy an external Blu Ray burner can I burn Blu Ray wedding videos from DVD Studio Pro or do I have to use Toast 9/10?

imac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 4:48 PM

13 replies

Jan 22, 2010 7:16 PM in response to skyrondenet

no, but you ca do it with FCP 7. No fancy menus and titles, but you can burn a bluray. Toast is the best bet to date but even that is very limiting. Currently there is nothing that allows you to create a bluray on a mac in the same manner as DVD Studio Pro does DVD's. You might look at PC solutions under Parallels or in BootCamp.

Jan 24, 2010 10:47 PM in response to  Certified

I am in the same boat here. I have started shooting some projects with Hi Def cameras and want to create blue ray discs. Apparently DVDSP does not work with Blue Ray? I can create the menu but when burning with Toast it doesn't work, the BD-R plays fine, looks great, just no menu, at least not the menu I created in DVDSP. What other option is there? You mentioned Adobe Encore, is that the best one out there? Thanks in advance.

Jan 25, 2010 1:39 AM in response to Jeff Peach

If you want full blown Blu Ray Authoring you can wait around for Apple to bring a solution to the Mac (which appears to be increasingly unlikely) or you have go to the "dark side"...

You can get Blu Print or Scenarist but they are mega bucks - or there is another solution on the PC (which will run in BootCamp - that's how we have it set up currently) and that is Netblender Do Studio - there is an initial learning curve (like all new software) and a few things you can't do (yet) in it, but as a full blown Blu ray authoring solution this is the cheapest available (though it's not that cheap sadly - but cheaper than the other two solutions)

Jan 25, 2010 6:29 AM in response to Steve Kirkham

Right now I don't need pop ups, just want more than the 6 buttons that Toast offers and want my own picture on the menu. What do you mean that you can't send it out for replication? Also, can you just purchase Encore? On an initial search it appears you have to buy the whole Adobe package. I want to stick with FCS but need the blue ray option. Thanks so much for chiming in here.

Jan 25, 2010 8:10 AM in response to Jeff Peach

I want to stick with FCS but need the blue ray option.< </div>

We just don't have a solid grasp of complex BD production around here because this is the Final Cut forum. We've got some dabblers who, you've seen, have contradictory suggestions and their ability to asssit you is limited by their experience and your needs. If you're patient enough, some experts will drop by. But I wouldn't count on it.

If you need sophisticated BD output, you want to hire a BD shop. The economics might not appear to be rational until you evaluate what you will pay yourself to learn a new programming/authoring tool and buy a BD burner.

"Not being to go out for replication" implies the file structure from Encore or Toast is not compatible with the needs of the big duplication houses. You'd want to work with them carefully if you need their services.

bogiesan

Jan 25, 2010 8:30 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Don't need sophisticated BD output, don't need to send to a replication house, just want to create a simple menu (don't need popups) with links to different tracks and my own picture in the background. I could probably do ok with the Toast menus for now, just doesn't have as many options as DVDSP does, so, not sure exactly what I am going to do. Look into Encore, and start experimenting with the Toast menus. Thanks for your tips and advice.

Jan 25, 2010 9:37 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Whilst I am no expert on the Blu ray arena I do have the real world experience of actually taking a commercially released project from inception to completion ready for replication. We used NetBlender's DoStudio solution to achieve this.

If you needs are less ambitious - that is you want to take your Hi Def footage and at least be able to present it nicely with your own menus - and stay in the Mac arena - then it sounds to my like Encore may well be your best bet. It can do some of the bells and whistles that Blu ray offers. However I think (like FCP) you have to buy the whole package to get Encore.

There is also Sonic's DVDIt Pro HD (a PC program) which offers DVD style menus on to a Blu ray...

DVD Studio Pro 4.2.1 and Blu Ray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.