Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the Auto Correct in Spell Checker

I turned this on thinking I would like it but now it is driving me nuts because I can't turn it off. When I go back into Edit/Spelling & Grammar, all of my options are grayed out. I can see where it auto correction is checked to turn it on but it is grayed out so I can't turn it off.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

3.06 Ghz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 9:00 AM

6 replies

Jan 22, 2010 2:06 PM in response to babowa

Barbara Daniels1 wrote:
Which application are you referring to? Mail? If it's Mail, go to Preferences, click on composing, and choose "never" under Check Spelling. If it's a different application, please let us know which one it is; in most cases, you should have options in that app's preferences.

This is in Apple Mail.

Actually the command comes under the "Edit/Spelling and Grammar" menu and as I mentioned, all the options, one of which is auto correct, are grayed out and therefore not accessible to me.

Jan 22, 2010 2:31 PM in response to babowa

Barbara Daniels1 wrote:
Yes, I know it is under the Edit menu as well; however, for general settings, you should check the settings in Preferences under Composing.

Ah, I see what you are talking about now. If I set it to never and then go back to the edit menu I have my options back and can uncheck the auto correct. Then I can tell it to check as I type again.

Thank you so much.

How do I turn off the Auto Correct in Spell Checker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.