Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can access time capsule through Finder, but time machine cant back up to it

hello,

when i am on my local network, i can backup to time capsule perfectly.

my question is when i am accessing my time capsule over the internet itself, i can access time capsule through Finder, and manually put files on the disk and download files i have put there before. i see it in Finder great.

but over the internet time machine cant back up to it. it doesnt even see it in the list of available time machine available backups.

is this normal? is it is impossible to use time machine to back up to time capsule over the internet?

thanks

2.4 Ghz 15" macBook Pro 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Time Capsule 1TB

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 7:15 PM

What you are seeing is normal.

You might be able to get it to work. Take a look at the info at http://www.chrillo.info/2009/04/05/time-machine-back-up-to-remote-macs-over-lan- and-internet/
2 replies

Jan 22, 2010 9:03 PM in response to Duane

hi duane,

thanks for helping.

the link you posted indicates that this is likely due to the way that apple has chosen to implement its handling of shares and that, interestingly, there may be a different way between Finder finding the share, and, when it is done via "Go To Server" (AFP).

in my case neither works.

but will continue to try different settings.

thanks

can access time capsule through Finder, but time machine cant back up to it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.