Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Delete files because OSX says it's "in use"

Hi, I downloaded a couple of fonts (.ttf) a while ago and I'm trying to delete them. But when I try to empty the trash it tells me that they can't be deleted because the files are "in use". I've checked the system processes and I can't find any ttf files running, or any processes or applications that might refer to the files. I get the same message when the computer is freshly booted up.

Any suggestions on how I can get rid of these files and or figure out how they are in use? The fonts are not even installed.

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 8:59 PM

JustLikeHaayen wrote:
Hi, I downloaded a couple of fonts (.ttf) a while ago and I'm trying to delete them. But when I try to empty the trash it tells me that they can't be deleted because the files are "in use". I've checked the system processes and I can't find any ttf files running, or any processes or applications that might refer to the files. I get the same message when the computer is freshly booted up.

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

If you're willing to run a command to learn what's holding onto those font files, launch the Terminal utility, then type this command (spaces doubled for clarity):

lsof | grep xyz

where you replace "xyz" with enough of the name of the font file (in proper case) to make it somewhat unique. The name of the holding process will be at the left end of the output line. If there's no result, try this version (which will require you to enter your administrative password:

sudo lsof | grep xyz
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2010 8:59 PM in response to JustLikeHaayen

JustLikeHaayen wrote:

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

If you're willing to run a command to learn what's holding onto those font files, launch the Terminal utility, then type this command (spaces doubled for clarity):

lsof | grep xyz

where you replace "xyz" with enough of the name of the font file (in proper case) to make it somewhat unique. The name of the holding process will be at the left end of the output line. If there's no result, try this version (which will require you to enter your administrative password:

sudo lsof | grep xyz

Feb 21, 2010 11:33 PM in response to dechamp

Dealing with ttf files can be a pain. Often times you can't delete the file because it claims its in use. This is because Quicklook creates an active thumbnail of the file in Finder. To resolve this issue, you can either kill the Quicklook using the Activity Monitor in your Application folder's Utility folder.

Or you can restart your computer. However, this can be tricky if the file is on your desktop where Quicklook will automatically enter memory to render it, thus login back to your desktop may lock it again.

My experience has been that it is safe to Quit Quicklook via Activity Monitor, as it just starts right back up when you need it.

Apr 19, 2010 2:03 PM in response to harlack

harlack wrote:
After entering in the command i was able to delete the file with no problem.
Thanks and it should be noted for anyone else that you do not get an "it's ok to delete" message you just run the command then delete.

That command isn't intended to free a file so that it can be deleted, but to show what process has a file open so that you can do something (such as restarting the process) to free the file.

It's possible that in your case you waited long enough for the "holding" process to release it.

Can't Delete files because OSX says it's "in use"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.