Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the difference between m4v and mp4 just a matter of file extensions?

Is the difference between m4v and mp4 just a matter of file extensions? Is m4v just mp4 renamed as m4v? My understanding is that generally, the existence of the m4v extension is simply to force iTunes to open the file by default.

Macbook Pro (silver), Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 2G

Posted on Jan 22, 2010 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 3:54 AM

No, there are other differences. For instance, the MP4 container can hold either MPEG-4 or H.264 video but the M4V containers is used exclusively for H.264 video. M4V files can contain 5.1 AC3 audio. M4V files can be DRM'd. Etc...

User uploaded file
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2010 3:54 AM in response to g-pod

No, there are other differences. For instance, the MP4 container can hold either MPEG-4 or H.264 video but the M4V containers is used exclusively for H.264 video. M4V files can contain 5.1 AC3 audio. M4V files can be DRM'd. Etc...

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2010 1:37 PM in response to g-pod

So if I had an .m4v that contained H.264 video and AAC audio (and with no DRM), could I simply rename the .m4v as .mp4?

You can always change the extension. In fact you could also change it to ".mov" and it would probably work. The problem is that some applications only look at the extension while others check the internal headers and if they find an inconsistency, would likely not play/synch/use/import the file as expected. For instance, I believe you would have problems using an MP4 extension on an M4V containing H.264/AAC/AC3 data tracks. If all you want is the H.264/AAC tracks wrapped in an MP4 container, then a better solution might be to use the "Save As..." option in MPEG Streamclip and select the MP4 container rather than the MOV file container. However, be aware that any incompatible tracks in the M4V file would not carry over to the MP4 container using this strategy. (I.e., audio and video tracks are simply copied to the new container avoiding re-compression delays.) It is up to you which method you wish to try.

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.