Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find File By Name

Just upgraded to SL and was disappointed to find the the apple-F dialog box still defaults of find file by content.

My gripe is that if you type the word "microsoft" for example, files beginning with this word appear well, and I mean WELL, down the list.

I thought that in SL we were promised a little check box that would allow us to save the default dialog to find by file name.

Any ideas?

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 5:59 AM

6 replies

Jan 23, 2010 6:35 AM in response to oxcart

oxcart wrote:
VK you have just solved one of the banes of my life and I can't thank you enough.

you are welcome!
If you added up all the tiny slices of time I have spent over the last five years reaching out for the mouse to select that 'file name' box it would add up to a two week vacation!

was it really that bad? 😉

Jan 23, 2010 2:44 PM in response to oxcart

OK, this is solved.

It turns out that apple-shift-F does in fact bring up the find by file name dialog box in leopard.

However... there is no blinking cursor to show the location of the insertion point. It therefore gives the appearance of having not worked, and of requiring a mouse action to activate the insertion point. If you start typing regardless, the text does appear at the invisible insertion point. How annoying is that: that such a lack of attention to detail in the OS has caused me trouble 20 times a day for the last many years.

The lack of a find by file name default was for me by far the most annoying feature of OS X and I if I die tomorrow I will die happy in having found a work-around.

Thanks,

Find File By Name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.