Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I run both Leopard and Panther on the same machine?

Hi,

I currently have a Powermac G5 with Leopard running nicely on it. I have 2 hard disks.

What I would like to do is install OS X 10.3 on the machine so that I can switch between the environments - please can someone explain how to do this?

I'm assuming I need to partition one of the hard drives and have done with the second hard disk (not the startup disk), but I'm nervous about what to do from there and really don't want to mess up what I've already got - please help!!

Many thanks.

Powermac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 7:34 AM

if you have two hard drives the easiest might be to install panther on the second hard drive. this way you don't have top partition anything. make sure the drive is properly formatted it should be formatted mac os extended journaled with APM partition scheme. then just boot from the Panther install disk and install panther on the second drive. note that this will only work if your mac originally came with panther. did it?

to switch between installs you can change the startup disk in system preferences->startup disk. then reboot. alternatively, reboot normally and hold option at the chime. this will boot you into startup disk manager where you can choose which drive to boot from.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2010 7:34 AM in response to Deaconspike

if you have two hard drives the easiest might be to install panther on the second hard drive. this way you don't have top partition anything. make sure the drive is properly formatted it should be formatted mac os extended journaled with APM partition scheme. then just boot from the Panther install disk and install panther on the second drive. note that this will only work if your mac originally came with panther. did it?

to switch between installs you can change the startup disk in system preferences->startup disk. then reboot. alternatively, reboot normally and hold option at the chime. this will boot you into startup disk manager where you can choose which drive to boot from.

How can I run both Leopard and Panther on the same machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.