Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a "wheel" user , and do I need it?

I recently noticed, a new user in my user groups, a "wheel" user.I made my discovery when changing permissions on a folder in my shared folder...

a. What is this user?
b. Is this user important?
c. Should I or can I delete this user?
d. Does the presence of this user leave my files open to perusal by unsavory characters when I am on-line, such as in wi-fi zones at a café for example?

Macbook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2010 9:39 AM

wheel is a group not a user. it's a necessary system group. by default only the root user belongs to it. don't touch it and don't mess with it. the group on the folder /Users/Shared should be wheel. leave it alone. no it does not pose any security vulnerabilities.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2010 9:39 AM in response to Maczbook

wheel is a group not a user. it's a necessary system group. by default only the root user belongs to it. don't touch it and don't mess with it. the group on the folder /Users/Shared should be wheel. leave it alone. no it does not pose any security vulnerabilities.

What is a "wheel" user , and do I need it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.