Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini to DVI & HDMI with audio

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting my first Mac and am planning on a Mac mini.

I want to connect it to my existing (Dell) 20" monitor via DVI and to my 32" Sony.

Questions:

Do I use the Mini DVI port to connect to the Dell monitor?

If so, will the mini display port connect to the Sony vis HDMI and send audio too?

Does the mini have any digital audio out capabilities (spdif)?

Many thanks in advance.

Gaz.

PC, Windows 7, Home made.

Posted on Jan 24, 2010 6:02 AM

12 replies

Jan 24, 2010 8:38 AM in response to gaz8080

Yes, you can use both the mini-DVI port (m-DVI) and the mini-DisplayPort (m-DP) at the same time to connect to two displays.

You do not mention what in port your Dell display has, but there is a m-DVI to DVI-D adapter in the box with the Mac mini. Otherwise there are Apple and 3rd party m-DVI to VGA adapters also.

Neither the m-DVI nor the m-DP transmit audio with their video signals, so you usually need to run a separate audio cable (both analog or digital are possible) in tandem with the video cable. However, 3rd parties to the rescue. Monoprice sells a Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter which incorporates digital audio with the video stream and sends it over HDMI. This adapter uses a USB connection to power itself.

There is also a less expensive analog version which uses USB output for incorporating the audio with the video over HDMI; Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter. With either of the Monoprice adapters you also use a simple HDMI to HDMI cable from the adapter to the HDTV.

Dah•veed
User uploaded file

Feb 10, 2010 7:33 PM in response to Dah•veed

OK...I'm new to Mac and am a little confused by your post. We have a Mac mini that we've hooked up to our Sony Bravia HDTV via the mDVI adapter that came with the mini. Video is great, no problems. Audio is another story. I saw your post and thought YAY!!!! I have an answer. However when I went to the links you included I didn't see how to hook the TV up to the adapter. The less expensive adapter I see has a female port that matches the HDMI cable that is hooked into the back of our TV. The USB and mDP are self explanatory (or so I think). But if I hook up the HDMI male end from behind the TV into the female port on the adapter I don't have a cable going to the TV for display anymore. Am I missing something? Please, be nice, I am new:) Thanks!!!

Feb 26, 2010 11:09 PM in response to Dah•veed

David.Austin...after reading your 2 posts, visited the links you provided for the adaptors...confusion reigns...

how to do make the connections?...the USB connector..no problem...but where do you connect the minidisplay port?....since the video signal from the Mac goes through the DVI port?....although I cannot find a place to hook the minidisplay port that this specific adaptor has unto the Mac Pro...

hope you can drop at the link provided above and clarify this for me..

cheers

Feb 27, 2010 5:39 AM in response to pcanoe

This is not a Mac Pro forum, this is a Mac mini forum. This is not a resolution to this issue for a Mac Pro.

Both the Early & Late '09 Mac mini have two video ports; mini-DVI and mini-DisplayPort. I am giving folks with '09 Mac minis an option that uses the mini-DisplayPort that will intergrate the video and audio for use with HDMI.

Feb 27, 2010 1:05 PM in response to Dah•veed

David.Austin...it is rather odd...within the Mac Pro forum (which I am aware it's not this one), they suggest to visit the Macmini forum for answers regarding the issue at hand...sorry for that...so in view of the problem to solve...I thought it would be suitable to ask in this forum the info I needed...one thing to consider...I've never lost the notion of being in another forum...

So thanks for your kind answer...anyways...as always it was helpfull

🙂

Mar 30, 2010 11:10 AM in response to gaz8080

You only need a cable from MBP to Display, i.e. Mini DisplayPort Male to HDMI Male Cable

Link: http://www.cablematters.com/pc-30-30-gold-plated-mini-displayport-male-to-hdmi-m ale-6-feet-cable.aspx

It's only $9.95.

But you know, until now Mini DisplayPort can not output audio but only video. As far as I know Cable Matters Inc. has solution for audio output.If you want high audio quality Mini Displayport Male and Toslink Audio/USB Male to HDMI Female Adapter is good for you since it supports 5.1 Channel audio.

Link: http://www.cablematters.com/pc-56-26-mini-displayport-male-and-toslink-audiousb- male-to-hdmi-female-adapter.aspx

The price is $47.95, a little expensive. You will need another HDMI to HDMI cable from this adapter to the TV/Screen.

If you don't require high quality audio this is an alternative Mini DisplayPort Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Adapter.

Link: http://www.cablematters.com/pc-24-32-mini-displayport-male-and-usb-male-audio-to -hdmi-female-adapter.aspx

The price is cheaper for $37.49. You will also need an HDMI to HDMI cable from this adapter to your TV/Screen.

Apr 6, 2010 8:20 PM in response to Dah•veed

David
Thanks for the information about the Toslink I think that might just be the thing I need.
A question?
Can the digital model be hooked up using a HDMI into the back of a home theater HDMI input to have the audio and picture processed to eventually get the picture sent out on the HDMI output line from the receiver to the tv and get the audio comming out of the home theater speakers?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Greg

Apr 7, 2010 8:08 AM in response to G Grunwald

I am not familiar with the restrictions inherent to using a home theater system because my apt is so small I have never invested in one. It would be overkill for me here.

To my thinking, you should be able to use the combined signal provided by this adapter through HDMI as if it emerged natively from the Mac. So if you could use an HDMI signal in the manner you mention from any other device with HDMI output I would imagine it would work with this adapter.

Mac mini to DVI & HDMI with audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.