Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule: "Unable to locate this device"

Hello!

I've been using Airport Utility to try to reconnect to my time capsule from my laptop. There have been no issues for the past year or so, until today with my time capsule. While my MacBook Pro can pick up the network signal from the time capusle, as can Airport Utility identify the unit after scanning for it, Airport Utility nonetheless "cannot find this device" when trying to connect with it so as to reinitiate a set up. I tried a hard reset of the time capsule, but the same situation persists. I'm currently using ethernet to connect to my ISP, but have been otherwise consistently using wireless w/ the TC w/o problem.

What else can I try to get the TC back on board..?

Thanks for any suggestions!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 1:20 AM

2 replies

Jan 25, 2010 1:58 AM in response to Todd Rising

hi Todd,

the following can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

*Depending on the situation, you will need to choose one of the following AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule reset types:*

*o Soft reset: Resets the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule password and disables security for five minutes so that you can join the network to make changes.*

*o Hard reset: Erases all user settings on the AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule but retains saved profiles.*

*o Factory default reset: The same as a hard reset but also removes any saved profiles.*.

have you tried the last option ?

Jan 25, 2010 10:14 PM in response to ménage-à-trois

Thanks, ménage-à-trois!

After a hard reset (which I think is holding down the reset button for 5+ seconds) of the TC, it seems that the sequence of powering on the devices resolved the issue. First, powering off my DSL modem for 30+ seconds, then on until the status lights settled. Second, plugging in the TC after what happened to be an overnight of being unplugged, when at the whine of the hard drive, powered up my MacBook Pro. Then turning on the laptop's Airport card and immediately running Airport Utility to identify and re-initialize and set up the TC, recognized as with "default settings."

Simple solution for what seemed to be a perplexing solution... Hope this might help someone equally green as myself. 🙂

Time Capsule: "Unable to locate this device"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.