Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iPod touch 3rd gen do everything an iPhone 3gs does except talk?

I have an iPhone 3GS and I really like;however, I like to buy an iPod Touch 3rd gen. for my wife. Will an iPod Touch 3rd gen. does everything an iPhone 3GS would do except acting as a phone?

HP, nothing

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2010 7:19 AM

2Chuck wrote:
I have an iPhone 3GS and I really like;however, I like to buy an iPod Touch 3rd gen. for my wife. Will an iPod Touch 3rd gen. does everything an iPhone 3GS would do except acting as a phone?

yes ! except, some apps that require iPhone hardware won't run on a Touch.
9 replies

Jan 25, 2010 7:28 AM in response to 2Chuck

Not entirely. There are several features the 3Gs has that the 3G does not. The processor is better and there is more memory too. The camera is better and has autofocus, although the fact that it does video is less important now as there are three (or more) apps that allow this on the 3G.

One difference is the use of a magnetometer that allows use of a compass app, and also integrates this with Google Maps. Another is voice control allowing calls to be made and music to be played handsfree.

Jan 25, 2010 10:19 AM in response to Anna Sandham

There is no microphone, no camera, no gps on the iPod Touch.

Most applications will install - for instance even apps that require a microphone but they won't work. You can buy a mic to connect or use headphones that have a microphone. Some apps such as Dragon Dictate won't install.

There is wi-fi - which is really great. There is location detection if you are using wi-fi - but not to be confused with real gps which the iPhone has built in.

Jan 25, 2010 8:31 PM in response to 2Chuck

As other people has replied to your post, yes the iPod touch can do most of what the iPhone can do. It's basically is the nonphone(wireless enabled) Iphone brother look alike that has 80% of the phone functions.

But in my opinion the iPod touch has it's weaknesses and not the strongest suits. The iPod lacks 3G coverage which means you have to be stuck to WiFi to be able to use the majority of it's functions. I hate that, specially when you wish you could get an iPhone that can get Internet anywhere without no wifi available. Anyways if you are worried about GPS lacking functionality on the iPod do not worry, there are solutions for that.....
1* you could buy a gps receivers(Tom Tom car kit, and others available online) that easily attaches to the iPod touch and thus giving you a fully capable gps system.

Can iPod touch 3rd gen do everything an iPhone 3gs does except talk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.