You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open G3 (Beige) outer case to access power button area?

I need to gain access to my G3 where the power button is... it was loose and seems to have fallen into the case

Is there any where on the net I could find a diagram or instructions? I can't seem to locate on the apple site

Thanks

power mac G3 beige, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Nov 14, 2005 5:02 PM

10 replies

Nov 14, 2005 5:15 PM in response to Kristin Kieffer

For the "desktop" model:

First, take the display off the top. Looking at the front, the top of the front panel protrudes and forms a sort of balcony effect. There are two release latches about one inch from each side underneath that overhanging "balcony". Press upward on both sides at once. The case should now be free to slide forward about an inch, at which point it will be free to be lifted upward and off. If the case refuses to slide forward, a sharp jerking motion may be required to free it.

Nov 14, 2005 5:29 PM in response to Kristin Kieffer

If you have the beige mini-tower case, the side panel is removed by depressing the green button on the top edge, tilting it away from the chassis, and lifting it up and away. With the unit tilted over on the opposite side and the front bezels facing you, the power switch's actuator will be found in the lower left corner of the chassis. The actuator is a clear plastic piece, through which the LED is visible. If it is broken, I'd recommend checking eBay for a replacement. The plastic power actuator for the desktop model snaps in from the front of the chassis, so that it's held captive. If someone has damaged it badly enough that it has fallen back inside the case, it will undoubtedly need replacing. Check eBay for that as well, since it was used in a number of the desktop models (7200, 7300, 7500, 7600, and G3). If you have any Apple Service/Parts providers in your area, they may have either actuator lying around in a box of accumulated parts. Because both parts are no longer in production, they are officially referred to as "obsolete" (except to the individual needing one).

Nov 17, 2005 6:57 PM in response to Frank McHugh

Frank,

I don't believe Kristin has returned to provide information on her G3's "form factor" (as Apple calls it). Hopefully, she will update the info in her equipment list with the usual DT, MT, or AIO used here. It really helps to have that info in this forum. Saves a lot of those "do you have a (xxx) version?" posts.

We had one person here seeking help about a year ago; the questions posed could not be properly answered without form factor info. Twenty-odd posts and pleas later, we finally found out the poster had the MT. Then we made progress!

Cheers,

A

How do I open G3 (Beige) outer case to access power button area?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.