Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Install - 14 hours from USB

I copied the image of my OSX 10.6 disc to an 8GB USB drive and ran the install on a new 640GB Western Digital 5400RPM drive. At first I stopped the installation after an hour. When I restarted the install I let it run overnight and all day while I was at work. When I woke up the install said about 18 minutes remaining. When I came home at lunchtime it said about 10 minutes. Then when i got home at 5PM the install was just finishing.

I also installed windows 7 pro through boot camp. Windows is running fine with no performance issues, but OS X is sluggish and I see the beach ball whenever I try to do anything.

15" mbp Unibody, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Win7 Pro on boot camp

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 5:51 AM

7 replies

Jan 28, 2010 10:09 AM in response to eww

The reason for installing from the flash drive is that the disc is scratched so bad the mbp won't boot from it. It can view the disc in osx, but not install. 😟 I copied the disc to a blank DVD-DL and tried to install this morning, After work I will see if the performance has improved.

Feb 7, 2010 4:58 AM in response to sdschramm

I bought a retail OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard disc last night. I tried a new install, formatted the partition and then installed. It took about 6 hours and the operating system is sluggish again with the beach ball coming up whenever i click anything :\
Seems weird because my windows partition runs fine. I even tried installing OS X onto a single partition using the full disc. Windows installed again in about 25 minutes.

OSX Install - 14 hours from USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.