Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will this ViewSonic LCD Monitor work w/G4 MDD?

I don't know enough about screen resolution to know whether this particular ViewSonic LCD monitor will work with my G4 MDD. The G4's video card has an ADC connector and a DVI connector. The monitor I'd like to get, which uses a DVI cable, is the ViewSonic VX1932wm-LED 19-Inch WLED-Backlit Energy Efficient LCD Monitor. I read an earlier post here that ViewSonic monitors will work with Macs. The specs for this monitor are at:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX1932wm-LED-19-Inch-WLED-Backlit-Efficient/dp/t ech-data/B002R0JJY4/ref=deasmtd

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Power Macintosh G4 MDD, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2 GB RAM; 1.25GB PPC Processor

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 1:06 PM

8 replies

Jan 27, 2010 1:51 PM in response to a brody

Thanks, Brody. And to clarify, there won't be a problem with resolution? Meaning, the Mac can put out what the monitor needs?

And, my last question deals with cable length. The reason I'm considering a new monitor is because I need to put the G4 tower in a nearby closet (because of the fan noise), and the ADC cable on my existing Apple 17" Studio Display isn't long enough, and an extension is no longer available. Because I don't know the length of the cable that comes with the ViewSonic monitor, what is the maximum length I can go if I buy a DVI extension cable?

Thanks a lot, Brody.

Jan 27, 2010 2:00 PM in response to a brody

My graphics/display info:

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV250
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4966
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-99702-131
Displays:
Apple Studio Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Not Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display:

Jan 27, 2010 3:17 PM in response to Mike Harrison

I have the slightly larger VX2235wm which is 22 inches, and the same video card as you on my MDD. I am satisfied with its performance.

The monitor has separate VGA and DVI input ports. The max widescreen res on my MDD is 1680x1050. I usually run at 1440x900 because my eyes aren't what they once were.

I've gotten higher resolution on the same monitor by connecting it to my MacBook Pro via DVI. Can't remember what the numbers are exactly but I know it's larger than the 1680x1050 on my MDD. The notebook has a newer graphics chipset and 128MB VRAM, so that's not a surprise.

As an aside, I played with both the VGA and the DVI sides of the monitor. I found I have more options for smaller resolutions if I use the DVI-to-VGA adaptor that came with the MDD and connect to the VGA side of the Viewsonic.. I keep the DVI cable attached but tangling over the back of the desk so I don't have to rummage so much when I need to connect the MacBook Pro. It works fine on the DVI cable. As long as I turn off the MDD before connecting the cable, leaving both lines running to the monitor has caused no problems.

Will this ViewSonic LCD Monitor work w/G4 MDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.