Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM issue

I have purchased a new 512MB PC-133 SDRAM chip that meets all of the specifications in the PM G4 user manual - but neither OS sees it. DIMM First Aid says something about "invalid column address," (forget exactly) or something along those lines when I boot into OS 9. I've reset the PRAM twice, and tried to reseat the module twice. Should I return this one?

I could really use this RAM upgrade, as I've recently inherited this machine and I'm going to use it to produce music with Logic Express (which is horrendously slow without the minimum 512MB of RAM.)

PM G4 QuickSilver, Mac OS X (10.4.3), 120GB Maxtor HDD, 384MB RAM

Posted on Nov 14, 2005 9:14 PM

10 replies

Nov 15, 2005 9:31 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

Dear upbeatpenguin,

first of all, welcome to Apple Discussion Forums. Hope you are going to like it here.

The fact that you are reporting that neither OSX Tiger, nor OS9 see your new SDRAM module, notwithstanding the PRAM reset and the reseating of the module, does not speak well about it.

DFA report about "invalid column address" could also be a warning that something is wrong about such SDRAM module. It could happen.

However, before tossing it and return it in exchange for another, please, could you check the following?
  • Are your RAM expansion rails in good order? I.e.: do you notice the presence of dust bunnyes, oxidation of the golden contacts? In case of the first you should get rid of the bunnyes by blowing some compressed air on those rails; in case of the second, try using a pensil eraser to clean-up those contacts.
  • Is your new SDRAM module bearing the specification "ECC" or "Buffered" by any chance? Check eventually with your vendor. The module you want should be NON-ECC of Unbuffered.

Let us know how you are gettin' along.

All the best.

Costa

Nov 15, 2005 9:36 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

Dear upbeatpenguin,

first of all, welcome to Apple Discussion Forums. Hope you are going to like it here.

The fact that you are reporting that neither OSX Tiger, nor OS9 see your new SDRAM module, notwithstanding the PRAM reset and the reseating of the module, does not speak well about it.

DFA report about "invalid column address" could also be a warning that something is wrong about such SDRAM module. It could happen.

However, before tossing it and return it in exchange for another, please, could you check the following?
  • Are your RAM expansion rails in good order? I.e.: do you notice the presence of dust bunnyes, oxidation of the golden contacts? In case of the first you should get rid of the bunnyes by blowing some compressed air on those rails; in case of the second, try using a pensil eraser to clean-up those contacts.
  • Is your new SDRAM module bearing the specification "ECC" or "Buffered" by any chance? Check eventually with your vendor. The module you want should be NON-ECC of Unbuffered.

Let us know how you are gettin' along.

All the best.

Costa

Nov 15, 2005 2:02 PM in response to upbeatpenguin

Here, I took a snapshot of the DFA report: http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/UBP/dimm%20fail.png

Although I don't doubt that this stick was DOA. For all I know I might have damaged it somehow or it might have gotten damaged during shipping. I got rid of all the dust in the machine when I had it open yesterday, and all the contacts are clean. I guess I just got ripped off. :/

Nov 16, 2005 9:26 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

Dear upbeatpenguin,

thank you for that DFA report!
I concur. That DIMM is DOA. DON'T use it.

See if your vendor can accept an RMA and have him ship you a new stick.

If he does not, please let us know it's name so that other users like you can stear away from it.

In case you want to know good, reliable and trustworthy RAM on-line vendors, post back so I can give you a full list (with direct web-links).

Sorry about your experience 😟 ...

Hope you'll be able to sort out your RAM issue soon.

Costa

Nov 17, 2005 11:20 PM in response to upbeatpenguin

Dear upbeatpenguin,

...Sure, a list would be nice...

O.k., then; here it is:

On-line vendors
  • Crucial Technology - It's the on-line commercial "arm" of Micron Technology, one of the big 4 world semiconductors producers (also quoted on the New York Stock Exchange). Sells World-Wide.
  • MacGurus - Sells mainly in the U.S.A. - Uses an indipendent SDRAM assembler which employes only top manufacturers components (mainly from SAMSUNG Semiconductors).
  • Buffalo Technology - One of the top 2 largest SDRAM assemblers in the world; uses only top industry components (from Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Nanya, etc.) and sells World-Wide.
  • Kingston Technology - The other top largest SDRAM assembler in the world; uses only top industry components (a part from the other usual names, it has recently enetered a commercial agreement with Toshiba Seminconductors) and sells World-Wide (though it's strong commercial distribution is in North America).

The above are the four most trustworthy RAM vendors I know of.

Best of luck.

Costa

RAM issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.