Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen would go to black as I move hinge; now it goes blue w/o warning.

My screen is slightly askew when I close my Macbook. Never really noticed it before. Lately my screen would go black in certain positions of opening. No problem, I just moved it slightly and it would be fine. Today, the screen went blue w/o warning. I restarted it twice and it came up the second time like normal. Right now the screen will go blue on me and then come back to life without my moving the screens position. What's my problem? What's the fix? What's the co$t? Is it time for a new MacBook after 3 wonderful years? Thanks!

MacBook 3.1, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 4:34 PM

2 replies

Jan 30, 2010 8:28 AM in response to Alpintourer

So I take it you don't have Apple Care, correct?

It could just be a loose connector inside the lower case assembly. If you are game to try and repair it yourself, there are some good take-apart guides on the web.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/Mac

If the problem is a broken connector or cable rather than a loose one, the repair could become more of a problem. And if you just plan on having a repair facility do the fix, plan on a minimum of $200 and a probable maximum of around $800.

Feb 17, 2010 11:29 PM in response to BSteely

I have the same problem. The brightness of the screen goes some how gets messed up when the screen is hinged in a certain position (a little less than 90 degree). I initially thought that it went to sleep (but it's not because the sleep indication light does not come on and off), but as i adjust the screen a little, it will come back on.

seems like this is a well know problem, I hope Apple put out a fix for this.

Screen would go to black as I move hinge; now it goes blue w/o warning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.