Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending email through a Wideopenwest (WOW) account - help!

I'm on Wideopenwest for email, and can't get mail to work on my iPhone (3GS).

Here's my setup:

POP:

Name - GenghisBob
Address - GenghisBob@wowway.com
Description - WOW

Incoming mail server:
Hostname - pop3.mail.wowway.com
User name - GenghisBob
Password - GenghisPassword

Outgoing mail server:
Host name - smtpauth.mail.wowway.com
User name - GenghisBob
Password - GenghisPassword

When I hit "save", the phone churns for a while, then returns the message, "Cannot connect using SSL / Do you want to try setting up the account without SSL?"

If I hit "Yes", it churns a bit more and returns the same message. If I hit "No", it stops the process with a message "SMTP account verification failed" at the top of screen.

Wideopenwest assures me that the values I'm entering are correct; what am I missing?

Message was edited by: Genghis Bob - fixed a typo.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 9:33 AM

1 reply

Jan 29, 2010 9:40 AM in response to Genghis Bob

What you're missing is that you need to be connected to the internet via that ISP (e.g. on your Wi-Fi at home) and even if you get it set up there, you'll only be able to send email using that account when connected via your ISP. What you can do is:

1) Set it up at home over Wi-Fi, then in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > that account > SMTP, under Other SMTP Servers, set the AT&T SMTP Server to ON.

or

2) Get a different account, such as Gmail or Yahoo, that allows secure access to their SMTP server.

Sending email through a Wideopenwest (WOW) account - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.