Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the default View Options setting?

How can I change the default View Options settings so it is consistent for all playlists. Including any new playlists I create. Using iTunes 9.0.2 on iMac.

Thanks,
Bob

iMac 20" Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iPhone, Video iPod

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 8:29 AM

There is no single default view option as such for playlists. A playlist will pick up whatever view is being used in you main library at the time that you create it. For all the playlists to be the same you would have to be consistent with the columns you set in your library. If you change the view you use in the library (add or remove columns for example) the next playlist will pick up the change and be different from the rest.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2010 8:29 AM in response to RJOBoston

There is no single default view option as such for playlists. A playlist will pick up whatever view is being used in you main library at the time that you create it. For all the playlists to be the same you would have to be consistent with the columns you set in your library. If you change the view you use in the library (add or remove columns for example) the next playlist will pick up the change and be different from the rest.

Jan 30, 2010 8:37 AM in response to RJOBoston

See this -> Assimilate View Options v2.2
"This script re-creates a selected playlist (excepting playlists within folders and the "special" playlists Purchased, Podcasts, iTunes DJ (Party Shuffle), Audibooks, TV Shows, and Movies) so its View Options are the same as the main Music library (taking advantage of the fact that new playlists acquire the Music library's View Options)."

Jul 30, 2010 6:33 PM in response to Chris CA

I realize this is an old post, however it fit the bill perfectly for what I was trying to do. Since Apple has not added the feature to either shift-click, or cmd-click albums, this script allows me to set consistent views for each album my way. The original intent was to merge several old iTunes and set up the playlists using the rating method in concert with several other fields to manage duplicates and ensure an album/playlist existed for each song. Its a crash & burn method, but then again, I'm an OCD engineer.

Jul 30, 2010 6:37 PM in response to Gregory Koch1

this script allows me to set consistent views for each album

I'm wondering why you have any playlists at all for albums?
iTunes menu View -> Column browser.
This will show albums at top.
Select one (or more) and only those songs show at bottom.
I'm an OCD engineer.

This might explain it.
Unless you have a specific reason for an album playlist, I highly recommend you don't do it.

May 19, 2012 5:20 PM in response to droydi

droydi,

I had the same problem on 10.6.1.

The solutions seem to leave out a few caveats.

I got it working for me on Windows by...

Under Library, Click your "Music" library.

Under the "View" menu, make sure that "as List" is ticked! (This was the stumble for me as mine was "as album list" and none of the solutions worked)

Under "View" again, click "View Options", in the window that pops up select your columns.

Rearrange your columns. (I didnt do this step)

From now on a new playlist will get the colums (and ordering?) you set up for the Library-Music "as List" view.

You can change the Library - Music view to "as Album List" or anything else if you want and a new playlist will still use the "as List" settings

Hope it helps

-Pat

Changing the default View Options setting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.