Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring both OS X and Windows (Bootcamp) to a new HD

My friend uses both OS X and Windows on her black Macbook (using Bootcamp). Now, she needs to get a bigger HD but keep all her apps and files, both OS-X and Windows. What is the best way to transfer everything to her new HD?

She plans to get the bigger HD with an enclosure (from OWC) so that she can connect them by Firewire, as well as swap the drives after everything's on the new HD.

Can it be done using either Migration Assistant or, e.g., Superduper?

John

Macbook black, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 9:39 AM

1 reply

Jan 30, 2010 9:59 AM in response to John Bevan

Hi John, no experience with Bootcamp, I use Parallels so I can run both OSX & Windows at the same time.

I doubt the Mac cloning tools will do it, but the OWC Drives come with PC Backup tools, so I'm thinking... clone the Mac side, boot from the clone & setup Bootcamp, then boot from the Bootcamp on the old to use the PC tools to copy Windows to the Bootcamp partition on the new drive.

Hopefully someone that actually knows will drop in! 🙂

Transferring both OS X and Windows (Bootcamp) to a new HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.