Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Time Machine Last Backup Date using Command Line

We are a small advertising agency and are using Time Machine Server (among other backup measures) to back up about 25 Macs. The Server is running Mac OS X Server 10.6.2 and all the workstations are running Mac OS X 10.5.8.

The Time Machine backup policy for each client is enforced using Workgroup Manager and we have removed the backup of almost all system and applications, and have set only the /Users folder to be backed up (We use deployment technologies such as Radmind and Deploy Studio to effectively backup the system and apps)

At present, this is working really well and seems to be fairly low maintenance and nothing much seems to really go wrong.

The only problem is that how do I know if a computer stops backing up for some reason?

Ideally, I'd like some kind of script which is triggered perhaps daily using launchd, which checks each client Mac and requests the date and time of the last Time Machine backup and emails the result to me.

But as an interim solution, if I could push out a unix command using Apple Remote Desktop to each computer that would suffice as at least I could see at a glance if something went wrong. Currently, I have to remote control each computer, log in if necessary, and click the Time Machine menu.

Any suggestions anyone?

Various, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2010 12:16 AM

2 replies

Get Time Machine Last Backup Date using Command Line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.