This discussion is archived
5406 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2010 11:33 PM by KypDia
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 1, 2010 1:19 PM (in response to Gaynor Voake)The usual problem with an iPod not showing up in iTunes is not the iPod but the drivers for the iPod on your computer. Troubleshooting that first would have been the preferred thing to do but now you potentially have two problems to deal with.
Start by checking to see if Apple Mobile Device Services is working correctly on your computer. See this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567
If AMDS is working correctly, then on to the iPod.
1. Unplug the iPod from your computer
2. Hold the Sleep/Wake switch until you get a red slider and turn it off. Note: this may not work, skip to the next step.
3. Start iTunes
4. Press and hold the Home key
5. While still holding the Home key, plug you iPod in to your computer
6. Keep holding the button in until iTunes tells you that it has "detected an iPod in Recovery Mode".
7. Let go of the home button and follow the onscreen instructions to restore your iPod.iMAC 20", iMAC 21.5", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2G touch 3.1.2
Currently Being ModeratedMar 27, 2010 5:43 PM (in response to mambrake)I was having the exact same problem with my Ipod touch, finally I figured out the problem after having tried all of those troubleshooting links, 1st I went into the start menu then right clicked on My Computer, then clicked manage. Then once I got into computer management I clicked on Device Manager, and at the bottom of the page I clicked the on Universal Serial Bus Controllers, it should say apple Mobil device right underneath, once you get there leave this page open. Open up itunes, connect ipod then hold the on/off switch and home button until itunes asks you to restore your ipod. Click restore, and it may say also say update and restore if so click on it. Then while it tries to restore your ipod click back on computer management and keep an eye on the apple mobil device USB port, you should get a warning that pops up next to the mobil device port, if you do double click on the apple mobil device and click reinstall.
Sorry this is so long and drawn out I hope that it helps.Toshiba, Windows XP