Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote login from iphone

Using two totally different iphone apps I finally can log into my macbook pro remotely while in sleep using my iphone but it only works if the LCD is opened up. I noticed last night that when it's sleeping and the screen is closed when I remote log in that it wakes for only a second and immediately goes back to sleep. If the screen is open then everything works fine with either iphone app. Has anyone else noticed this?

Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 4:50 AM

3 replies

Feb 3, 2010 6:51 AM in response to mikeroni

I don't use an iPhone or access my MBP remotely, but there's nothing surprising about the fact that yours insists on sleeping when it's closed. It's designed to do that for its own protection.

If you could wake and use your machine remotely with its display closed, you'd be able to do so not only when it was sitting safely on your desk surrounded by room-temperature air, but also when it was zipped snugly into a carrying case and completely unable to ventilate and cool itself. Under those conditions, it would overheat and destroy itself in minutes. Apple prevents this by only allowing it to operate in closed-clamshell mode when an external keyboard, mouse, display, and the AC adapter are connected to it. Chances are good that whenever those conditions are met, the machine will be able to cool itself. If that's the status of your machine and remote access still doesn't work, I don't know how to help you, and you'll have to wait for an answer from someone more knowledgeable.

There are third-party hacks you can install that override this protection and prevent the machine from sleeping when the display is closed. But they also prevent it from sleeping (as it is also designed to do, even when the display is open) if its temperature rises too high for safe operation.

remote login from iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.