Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Acquisition BAD Issue

Hi. Today I've experienced my first BAD bug in mac os.
I was importing some pictures from my camera, a Nikon coolpix P90, and i used the ilife 09's bundled app to do that, because within iphoto i can't rotate my pictures before acquiring them (since the original is imported as is, the correctly oriented one becomes a copy of the original and occupies useful space in my hdd).
So, i marked by mistake the option whic cleans the camera's memory after the import job, and iphoto was unable to import 92 pictures. So, my pictures are lost. I tried to find with terminal the /private/tmp folder mentioned in iphoto's error message which should have contained the "unreadable" pictures but i didn't found anything. i tried also a command to enable hidden folders to be showed by finder and i've restarted it, but as before, no trace of "half-imported" pictures. I lost them, i know. It's a bug. But i lost the last pictures of a person that is no more with us. If someone could tell me what should i do to recover them i will appreciate. sincerely. thanks.

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 3, 2010 12:57 PM

5 replies

Feb 3, 2010 1:35 PM in response to Topolinux

Topolinux wrote:
I was importing some pictures from my camera, a Nikon coolpix P90, and i used the ilife 09's bundled app to do that, because within iphoto i can't rotate my pictures before acquiring them (since the original is imported as is, the correctly oriented one becomes a copy of the original and occupies useful space in my hdd).

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

First, rotating a photo in iPhoto doesn't seem to make a complete copy of the photo, so not much additional space is occupied.

So, i marked by mistake the option whic cleans the camera's memory after the import job, and iphoto was unable to import 92 pictures. So, my pictures are lost.

Those pictures have been deleted from the camera card, but may be recoverable. Visit VersionTracker ( http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx) and search for terms like "photo" and "recover". Among others I found this shareware utility:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20666

If your camera's memory card doesn't appear as a mounted volume on your Mac, it may be easier to recover those pictures if you put the card into a USB card reader.

Feb 5, 2010 9:18 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

William

Just an FYI: When you import a photo to iPhoto that has an auto-rotate tag on it there is indeed a new version of the Photo made. It's an edited version and saved in the iPhoto Library's Modified folder.

Topolinux

MediaRecover is a good app for recovering from a camera card.

Also, never let any app delete data from anything without you having the opportunity to review the data first. Plus it's a whole lot faster for you to reformat the card in the camera. As well as removing the imported files it refreshes the card's structure. It also takes about 3 seconds. Consult you camera's manual.

Regards

TD

Feb 5, 2010 11:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:
Just an FYI: When you import a photo to iPhoto that has an auto-rotate tag on it there is indeed a new version of the Photo made. It's an edited version and saved in the iPhoto Library's Modified folder.

Interesting... I'd done the experiment of rotating a photo in iPhoto while observing the contents of the iPhoto library, but I must have misinterpreted what I saw. I just did the experiment again and confirmed your statement.

Image Acquisition BAD Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.