Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMini and Syntax Olevia 27" LCD TV

I have a macmini and the Syntax Olevia LT27HV. I used to have it working perfectly with SwitchResX and specific settings to get 1280X720 connected with DVI. Somehow all that got munged. Now it wont display at all. I can still get to the mac and fix it becuase I have OSXVNC running on the box. I can then connect to it via a windows box in the house and "fix it".

I just cant remember all of the settings and the posts about that are old so they arent on the boards anymore.

Thanks,
Joel Leggett
Dallas, TX.

MacMini, Mac OS X (10.4.2), 1GB ram. bluetooth etc.

Posted on Nov 15, 2005 11:07 AM

8 replies

Nov 17, 2005 10:26 AM in response to Joel Leggett

How about this:

Pixel clock: 74.5 MHz
HActive: 1280 pixels
HFront porch: 56 pixels
Sync width: 136 pixels
Back porch: 192 pixels
VAcitve: 720 lines
VFront porch: 1 line
VSync width: 3 lines
VBack porch: 22 lines
Interlace: Off
Positive sync: On (for both H and V)
Use simplified settings: Off

These are generic values for the most part generated by the GTF calculator. Good luck.

Nov 21, 2005 10:42 PM in response to Joel Leggett

I just thought of this, but doesn't the Olevia have a standard VGA input as well as DVI? If you hook up the mini via the VGA, do you get the desired resolution? If the answer is yes, then all you have to do at that point is use SwitchRes X to dump the DDC data to a file and the resolution values you need to enter into SwithRes X for the DVI connection will be contained within that file.

Nov 28, 2005 10:23 PM in response to Joel Leggett

How's it going. Brand new mac newbie here.

I have the Olevia 26" LCD. My model is lt26hvx.

The mac mini displays with what looked like no problems right off the bat. It is a perfectly stable picture using both the VGA or DVI inputs.

My problem is getting the resolution set to a true 16.9 configuration. All of the auto dected display resolution options to choose from are either 4.3 or some other standard. Id like to go 1280x720.

in the manual the olivia suports a max resolution of 1280x1024. There is a choice for this resolution, and it works and is stable. but playing DVD's or displaying any pictures from web pages looks a little off (stretched).

Has anyone made any progress with forcing the mac mini to display a resolution that doesent automaticly list in the available choices?

Aaron

Nov 29, 2005 8:15 PM in response to mrvict0r

Just an update on the oliva 26" 16.9 LCD.

OK. I am still having a problem getting it to display in a 16.9 res using the DVI cable connection. But, if I go back to the VGA connection it works perfecly. I get an option in display settings for 1280x720. The refresh rates available are not great (59.9 was the only one available) but all the display issues are worked out.

Im going to mes around with a couple of the 3rd party display controlers out there to see if I can force a similar setting (1280x720) through the DVI cable. I'm going to start with calling the olevia tech line and seeing if there is any known compatibility ssues with the DVI connections.

If anyone gets anywhere with a similar setup. MSG me. Id like to share any information we may both finid out.

Aaron

Nov 29, 2005 9:25 PM in response to mrvict0r

Congratulations on getting 1280x720 to work over VGA. You are half way home. A couple of comments about your message; first off, 60Hz is exactly where you want to be with an LCD display. Anything higher is a waste and might only lead to other problems. Second, if you install SwitchRes X and maintain your VGA connection, you can go into SW X and see exactly what the timing parameters are for the 1280x720 timing. Then, all you have to do is make the DVI connection and create a custom timing using the same values as found for the VGA connection. This should give you what you desire, namely 1280x720 over DVI. It should work unless you run into some other unforeseen limitation.

Dec 12, 2005 9:45 PM in response to Tom Fussy

These worked for a 32" Olevia as well -- first time since March I have gotten DVI to work with this screen. Thanks. It looks better than VGA - there was some sync problems with VGA where the lines sorta slid/moved and it was irritating on the eyes. Picture at 1280/720 with DVI is perfect!

How about this:

Pixel clock: 74.5 MHz
HActive: 1280 pixels
HFront porch: 56 pixels
Sync width: 136 pixels
Back porch: 192 pixels
VAcitve: 720 lines
VFront porch: 1 line
VSync width: 3 lines
VBack porch: 22 lines
Interlace: Off
Positive sync: On (for both H and V)
Use simplified settings: Off

These are generic values for the most part generated
by the GTF calculator. Good luck.

MacMini and Syntax Olevia 27" LCD TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.