Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing itunes music library xml... replace? repair?

i've been rocking itunes on an external hd for a few years. at some point something happened to my itunes music library xml and it no longer exists. it doesn't appear in a search and iConcerCal (itunes friendly app) can't locate it.

iTunes functions fine and udpates fine. but it appears i'm going to be hampered with outboard applications.

is there some way for me to fix this? even if i have to export the music library and import into a new version of itunes?

please advise.

thanks in advance for any help.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 11:15 AM

15 replies

Feb 4, 2010 12:12 PM in response to double king

If you are using the Finder's search function, use the + button next to the save button (as indicated by the mouse pointed in the picture) to expose the drop-down boxes and select "System files" and "are included". Otherwise the .xml file will not be displayed in a search.

User uploaded file

If you still can't find it, look through these articles for possible help.

How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

What are the iTunes library files?, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1660

Feb 4, 2010 2:51 PM in response to Jim VanLeeuwen

Jim, thanks for the hint on the Finder search. The iTunes Music Library.xml is definitely not still in my system.

Unfortunately the links were about the Library file not the iTune Music Library.xml. There is a bit of info out there about the former; and none for the latter. I can't find any information about how to work-around; hack; re-knit the missing file.

still hunting...

Feb 4, 2010 3:26 PM in response to Jim VanLeeuwen

i saw that as a workaround for media. i'm not experiencing any trouble adding music or with the iTunes store.

i shouldn't much think it's a problem at all and then comes along 3rd party software that looks for the file, eg. iConcertCal that looks for the file and fails in not finding it.

if there's not a way to heal iTunes it it possible to dl a virin copy of the software and export everything from the existing version to a pristing copy of the software? which, seems like a ton of work but might be necessary lest i incur future problems...

thoughts?

Feb 15, 2010 3:14 PM in response to double king

I am having the exact same issue - I have been using an external drive to store the music/media files for years and I just noticed that I don't seem to have the itunes library.xml file either. In addition, I have a strange nested collection of "Previous itunes Libraries."

What is the procedure for rebuilding the library and .xml files? Can I delete all of the Previous Library files? What exactly NEEDS to be in the root folder? I have an "album art" folder and a couple other files - what do I have to keep and what can I rebuild? Essentially I want to create a "clean system folder" for itunes? If I export my playlists, will I be able to import them into the new config?

Please advise.

May 27, 2010 5:23 PM in response to Rick Uldricks

Amazing that something like this should not have a simple fix. I haven't found one yet either. The guys at the Genius Bar were also stumped and finally recommended deleting iTunes (not the music itself) and all associated files and then reinstalling. I did that and still no iTunes Music Library.xml file anywhere to be found. Without it, iTunes is inacessible from iMovie so this is very frustrating. There has got to be an answer!

Nov 7, 2010 2:55 PM in response to double king

In looking for the same answer (how do I recover a lost/corrupt .xml for iTunes), I came across this workaround; (Please read the ENTIRE ARTICLE BEFORE ATTEMPTING)

For the PC;

1. Back up EVERYTHING - you'll need to add some content again, so put it somewhere convenient.
2. Close iTunes
3. Copy the backup "iTunes Library.itl" file from the "Previous iTunes Libraries" directory to "My Documents\My Music\iTunes"
4. Delete the blank/corrupted "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files from "My Documents\My Music\iTunes" and replace with the previously copied file
5. Open iTunes - all of your music and meta-data up to the point of the backup file will be back.
6. You'll need to add any music that you've gotten since the update. just choose "Add Music from Folder" from the iTunes menu and chose the root directory where all of your music is stored; iTunes will add all of the missing songs back to your library.

For the Mac;

1. Back up EVERYTHING - you'll need to add some content again, so put it somewhere convenient.
2. Close iTunes
3. Follow this KB article on 'opening alternate iTunes .lib files' - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589

In both cases, you are essentially reverting to an older library, preferences, meta-data, etc.; Because of Time Machine, the Mac workaround is theoretical and unproven by this author, but it should work (IOW, at your own risk).

While this doesn't solve my issue of having altered the .xml file (PC) for the purpose of syncing my iPhone with both my Mac and PC iTunes (by 'tricking' the PC-version in to thinking it was the same copy), this may solve issues for some others.

Enjoy.

Nov 16, 2010 7:51 PM in response to KingJaimes♮

This may not be unique to iTunes at all. I have been using Adobe Lightroom to create xml-based Web galleries. Very often, the xml files are missing. I have no clue so I always zip up the xml and uncompress to restore when missing. I use Path Finder and BBEdit a lot. I am not sure if it's a system-wide OX 10.6.x issue, which would be scary, or interference by Path Finder or BBEdit.

Apr 21, 2011 7:27 AM in response to Rick Fernandez1

OK, so this is a year late, but I hit this thread because I was running into the same problem. I had no iTunes Music Library.xml file at all and I couldn't seem to get it created. I got iTunes 10.2.1 to create it for me with no difficulties.

1. I went to File → Library → Organize Library...
  2. That offers two options "Consolidate files" and "Reorganize files". I chose to Reorganize.

It whirled and ran for a minute or so, and when it was done I had a shiny new iTunes Music Library.xml file that worked just fine with SuperSync (which was my purpose in the first place). So far I haven't had any problems with it since reorganizing.

Good luck!

Jan 24, 2015 2:30 PM in response to cdeleonbelloc

I am having this issue as well. My iTunes library has been on external drive (not a NAS) for any years. I want to import my playlists into Sonos, which requires the iTunes Library.xml file. This file is not to be found anywhere on my system, however. (I have searched in the external drive, in the iTunes folder on the internal drive, and done a system-wide search for the file name and any close variants.)

I tried looking in my Time Machine backups, but the file seems not have existed as far back as I could check.

I tried organizing my music files as suggested above, but this did nothing.

I tried starting iTunes with Option held down to create a new library. This succeeded in creating a new .xml file but the new library was missing all of the metadata -- ratings, playlists accumulated over many years -- and so was useless. (I was able restart with Option again and choose the old library, but go knows how without the .xml file).

The metadata normally contained in the .xml file clearly exists somewhere but I don't know where.

This is clearly not a unique problem and I wish someone from Apple would respond to this thread.

missing itunes music library xml... replace? repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.