Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMAC sound problems after installing M-Audio preamp drivers

I recently installed an M-Audio preamp interface (MobilePRE USB) and their 64 bit driver ver. 1.8.0. It seems to work however the speaker volume on the mac (soundsticks and internal) dropped by ~ 50%. Also, the sound no longer works in photo booth as well as when importing movies into iMovie. I fear the M-Audio driver stomped on the iMAC sound driver. I've removed the M-Audio drivers with no change to the volume. Anyone have any ideas? I don't know how to re-install the MAC sound drivers.

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 27" iMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 6GHz RAM, HK Soundsticks

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 12:58 PM

Hi, when you uninstalled the APp did you trash all the p.list files etc..
I use APPDELETE - great App:-
http://appdelete.en.softonic.com/mac
After you deleted did you Repair Permissions?
sometimes going the SMC route helps! -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
Finally I would contact M-Audo Tech and ask them...L
2 replies

Feb 4, 2010 6:05 PM in response to elmac

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

I don't know what p.list files are so don't know if I trashed them...

I repaired permissions (I did not do this after de-installing the M-Audio drivers) and it found many lines of "stuff needing repair" I let it do it. It also looked at my USB drive (didn't tell it to) and told me that was problematic as well (disk utility tried but could not fix and I ended up having to re-partition to recover...WT???). Sound still didn't work

I then downloaded the APPDELETE but I couldn't find anything to point it to so I thought I'd re-install the M-Audio package and then let it delete it. With the re-install the sound now works in photo booth and seems to be much loader in iTunes etc... I still do not get any audio with movie import in iMovie. I'm wondering if I ever had sound in iMovie import as this is a new computer/iLife version to me? I think it should be there...

I'll think about the SMC thing but I'm going into Apple this weekend for some 1:1 iMovie help and I'll talk to them about it first.

Thanks for the suggestions - I think it got me pointed in the right direction.

D

iMAC sound problems after installing M-Audio preamp drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.