Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Classic 160GB Making Weird Noises

While scrolling through any menus where things have to be loaded I hear a noise when it starts loading new things. It makes a click sound, then everything loads, then it sounds like the discs stops but it sounds almost like... for lack of better words... a laser. I first noticed this when I was listening to a song then my iPod reset back to the Apple Logo but in weird colours (mostly blue with white apple logo). I know the hard drive is suppossed to make noise but I wanted to make sure that these noises aren't abnormal.

Oh, and I just bought this 2 days ago.

LG E500, Windows XP Pro, SP3 32 Bit

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 12:47 PM

13 replies

Feb 4, 2010 7:35 PM in response to nvleafs

I just bought one today, and it sounds like I'm having the same problem. Although mine has reset on me like that, every time I switch from menu to menu or find a song or video to play, it makes a noise like it's booting up and then the noise dies out. I agree that it sounds like a laser, but I think electronic fart is more accurate. If someone, preferably an Apple tech, could explain this, please do. I bought this iPod as a replacement today. I'd hate to already have problems with a brand new one.

Feb 6, 2010 10:38 AM in response to nvleafs

I seem to be having the same issue you described with my new 160GB Classic. An odd electronic noise, especially when scrolling through menus or when the player has to load something.. sounds a bit like the hard disk spinning up or down. It seems multiple people are having this issue, would be nice to know if it's a problem with the iPod or it's a perfectly normal hard disk sound...

Feb 6, 2010 11:21 AM in response to nvleafs

If you are experiencing performance issues then I would say it could be a unit with a bad hard drive. If you are experiencing lag when loading songs, random reboots and/or lag when skipping fast through songs to where the hard drive has to activate.

However, I've heard several reports that the hard drive in the 160GB is considerably louder than the previous models. Likewise I know the 120GB I have is slightly louder than the previous 80GB model I had and its been fine for over a year now.

If you can hear it clearly from several feet away I'd look into exchanging it if you can. From all the iPods I've used you can pretty much only hear the hard drive if it is inches from your face or held up to your ear.

Feb 11, 2010 11:07 AM in response to nvleafs

Have just bought new Classic 160 GB and am experiencing similarly strange elctronic noise when scrolling through cover flow and and when starting playing a song. Took it back to PC World who said it's normal hard drive noise due to size of hard drive. Not sure I'm conviced.As yet it appears to be working fine.

Mar 7, 2010 2:49 PM in response to nvleafs

No, not abnormal at all for this current iPod Classic, as I have had two with the same behavior. I will return my second and look for another brand for high capacity. I suspect a firmware update might relieve this issue, but I doubt Apple even cares due to the fact that they are so consumed with their iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch... If the iPod itself works fine and the noise doesn't bother you then it should be fine. Although, I have not tested this for any lengthy amount of time.

Jun 4, 2010 12:31 PM in response to deanhuff

I bought an iPod Classic 160GB on Tuesday and it was making the exact same noise. Returned it today and went to a new store and bought another one. This new one is doing the same thing too! I have logged a call with the Apple support desk and have to phone back tomorrow. Does anyone else think it sounds like a small firework going off?? I thought I was imagining it to begin with, but after reading the comments, am glad I'm not the only one with the same problem.

Jun 4, 2010 7:31 PM in response to nvleafs

I also have this. My Classic is 2 days old. I was semi-concerned about this as well, but from all the "me too" posts on here, I think it's safe to say it's normal hard drive noise.

It's usually a non-issue, because when wearing headphones, I don't hear it. I only hear it when I have the Classic hooked up to speakers when watching a movie or TV show on it, and it's definitely audible from a couple feet away, and happens while a movie is playing now and then.

But like I said, after reading thru this thread, I'm officially not concerned about it.

Aug 3, 2010 5:15 AM in response to nvleafs

I have read loads on this horrible noise.

All give me concerns - Apple and other supporters say its normal - what crap.

I have a new ipod from overseas - to avoid nonsense volume restrictions - and was listening on the train and had people complain about the noise - it does it during songs, during scrolling - and its bloody annoying.

Are they going to fix it as returning it for me is a bit of a problem.

It is the most annoying thing I have ever heard - not a problem on 80gb but that then broke permanently so had to replace.

Where are Apple with this? Surely an update can fix the noise?

Aug 3, 2010 1:54 PM in response to DSMITHERSON

I just got my 160gb Ipod classic last Friday and have been loading and sorting and experimenting a lot over the weekend.

I hear a click noise when the HD spins up but nothing more that that. Nothing that would be heard by anyone sitting more that a couple of feet away.

Sounds like a number of folks hear quite a noise but not on mine.

Based on my experience, the harsh noise is not common to them all. Not saying it couldn't function like that for years, just stating my observation.

iPod Classic 160GB Making Weird Noises

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.