Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to 3.1.3 did block my iPhone

Dear all,

I got an iPhone 3G for 1,5 year
Everything was OK until yesterday when iTunes told me to update from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3

I agreed : iPHone has been updated
Once update is done : I got the "Locked Sim" screen. I then "slide to unlock" and ... boom the iPhone decided to reboot
Since then : it did reboot continuously (apple logo, then restart, then apple logo, etc ...)

According to Apple Website, I've decided to go to restore mode :
iTunes finally noticed my iPhone and start a restore process :
1. iTunes prepares the phone (apple logo on iPhone)
2. iTunes shows "waiting for iPhone" (apple logo with progress bar below on iPhone)
3. and Boom : iPhone restarts (white screen then apple) and iTunes gives me an error message (enable to update : error (9))

I've called Apple France tech center : we've tried different processes (without sim, update iTunes, etc ...) with no sucess !

What shall i Do ?

Thanks in advance !!

Regards

iMac Core2Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2), iPhone 3G 3.1.3

Posted on Feb 5, 2010 2:58 PM

13 replies

Feb 5, 2010 6:06 PM in response to Yoyor94

Update and restore alert messages on iPhone and iPod touch
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

Error 9: This error occurs when the device unexpectedly drops off of the USB bus and communication stops. This can occur if the device is manually disconnected during the restore process. This issue can be resolved by performing USB isolation troubleshooting, using a different USB dock connector cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.

Feb 5, 2010 11:57 PM in response to Yoyor94

Dear all

Thanks a lot for your support.
WIth regards to above proposal :

- I cannot erase the content of my iPhone cause the iPhone never starts (iTunes can only see it as Restore-mode iPhone now)
- I did many procedures like :
* pluging the USB while pushing Home button = Restore mode on iTunes
--> it did fail (iTunes says : waiting for the iPhone, then iPhone reboots, then i Tunes gives me an error9 message)

* getting to DFU mode (I saw this on internet) : pressing 10sec Home+Power, then Home : same result

* I ve tried all USB ports on my iMac (10.6.2)
* I ve tried all USB ports on my MacBOkk (10.6.2 Unibody)
* I ve tried with a 2nd USB cable

I'm really lost now ...

THanks again

Regards

Yo

Feb 7, 2010 11:09 AM in response to Yoyor94

Dear all,

Latest (and last) news :

- I've been to Apple Store Paris (I got an appointment due to my phone call few days ago)
- The Genius guy checked the phone : tried and tried ... with no more sucess than me (still same failure mode)
- Result : "your iPhone's memory is dead"
- He asked his manager and they finally decided to give me a "new" phone (even if Warranty period is off : my phone was 1,5 old)

I'm very impressed how fast and efficient it has been handled !

Finally :
- I'm really happy by how fast it has been handled
- I'm really scared by the next Firmware update : if such update can "kill" my phone, I'm wondering wether or not I'll do next update !

Regards

Feb 7, 2010 11:28 AM in response to Yoyor94

HI,

So glad it worked out so well. Don't do ANY updates unless you are prompted by Apple to do so!

Alls bien qui finit bien!

By the way... this is quoted from your original post:

*Everything was OK until yesterday when iTunes told me to update from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3*

The 3.1.3 update is an iPhone update not iTunes. It may seem like iTunes because you use the iTunes application to update and restore your iPhone with. Your iTunes version should be 9.0.3
You can verify this inforamtion. Launch iTunes, then from the iTunes Menu Bar click iTunes/About iTunes. The version number will scroll up...

Carolyn 🙂

Feb 8, 2010 10:56 AM in response to Yoyor94

Hello

One last question :

Since Apple gave me the "new" phone : I cannot connect to ANY Wifi network :
- At home or at Work
- It connect few seconds and then disconnect
- If I look at network details, almost all the time the phone do not get any IP Adress from network
- few times, it can get one but loose the connection right after !

it never happens with my previous phone ...
It's not wifi- power related : I'm 1-2 meter from the Wifi Hub
I did push the "restore network settings" option but it did not change anything !

That's weird that my previous phone did not have any issue with WIFI : the new one cannot connect to any wifi now ?

Does anyone know where it could come from ?

Thanks again

Feb 9, 2010 1:02 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I did try all troubleshooting advices ... no success as of today.

I've tried again : it looks like iPhone can connect all Wifi networks that do not request any password (WEP or WPA) : it's OK

All Wifi which requires Password (WPA or WEP) : iPhone cannot connect !

- I've checked : it definitely not me mistaking the password
- All iphone around me can connect to these networkd (just as my previous iphone did)
- I did switch my Home wifi from WPA to WEP : this did not change anything !

It looks like the 3.1.3 is really hurting me a lot !
Shall I go to Apple Store ? It looks like Hardware is OK (can connect on non-protected wifi) ...

Thanks a lot for all your support

Regards

Feb 25, 2010 1:56 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I am in France (30120) and my iphone updated to 3.1.3 - like all the others!
However, now it is stuck with the USB to iTunes logo and even after restoring 2-3 times all I get is a Spanish message saying something about a SIM card error??

Please help if you can nearest big Apple center is very very far!! and I need my phone badly!!

Kind regards

David

Feb 25, 2010 3:31 AM in response to drdavidhart

This is the exact same problem as I have had (in Australia)... my iphone updated to the new OS on Sunday, and I now have a phone that won't recognize any SIM, and the message from itunes is that "the SIM card inserted into this iphone does not seem to be supported" and so on.
I have contacted my carrier, the problem is not that the phone is locked to a particular carrier network, the problem is not my SIM as the SIM works in my old Motorola handset, and the people at the Optus shop (my carrier) were able to take a working SIM from an iphone and put it into my iphone to prove the problem is with my handset.

I have also tried restoring the phone backup, restoring to factory settings, and I'm still having no success. Worse still is that the phone is now out of warranty so I'm stuck. If the update to 3.1.3 is causing this problem I'm even more unhappy - surely this should have been picked up in the Beta testing?

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem - the Parisienne apple store is a bit far for me to go to get a free iphone (although I would love a trip to Paris!)

Thanks in advance

Update to 3.1.3 did block my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.