Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icon view, icon position not kept

Most of my files are displayed in icon view. I have group them in positions easy to remember.
Since upgrading to SL every now and then a folder (or two) will have the icons ordered by name and positioned in a grid even if I haven't give that command.

Since this is annoying is there a solution to avoid that finder behavior?

MacBook (2), MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 11:23 AM

2 replies

Feb 6, 2010 1:27 PM in response to uhu

this usually happens due to corruption of .DS_store files for the folders in question. it will happen on occasion. no real way to fight it. you can delete all .DS_Store files on your hard drives using Onyx. this will get rid of all of them including the bad ones. the downside is that you'll have to reset icon positions in all your folders.

Feb 7, 2010 4:57 AM in response to V.K.

ok, that may be the reason for not keeping the icon positions but who except the finder will be responsible for a corrupt .DS_store file?

There are other Finder problems not only on my MacBook Pro but also on the MacBooks running in our household since we upgraded to SL. These problems usually result in a spinning ball of death and one has to press the ON switch to restart the Mac.
I haven't seen such issues in all previous upgrades from Mac OS X onwards. This is really disappointing since the SL upgrade was announced as a minor one but now it turns out as a nightmare to me.

icon view, icon position not kept

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.