Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP shocking me and wife

My wife and I both have MBP's and sit on the couch working with our laptops in our laps. WHenever our elbows touch, we get very painful shocks. Not quick static shocks, but more constant current shocks. We're plugged into the same wall and both using grounded plugs, you would think on the same ground. I'm trying to determine if one of our MBP's are shoring someone on the unibody but don't have a DVM here. Trying to bring one home later this week. Anyone have ideas or know of an issue ?

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 2:18 PM

44 replies

Feb 6, 2010 2:26 PM in response to BillsMBP

If you aren't both using the 3-prong grounding cords that came with your machines, do so. If you do, and the problem persists, go down to your local hardware store and get an inexpensive 3-prong receptacle tester like the one pictured here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GRT-3500-Standard-Outlet/dp/B000NBDTQI

Take it home and use it. It sounds as though you have faulty wiring in your home.

Feb 6, 2010 2:30 PM in response to BillsMBP

Mmm,

I'd be wondering whether the earthing of your home's electrical supply is actually functioning, Bill.

It is not uncommon to see complaints similar to yours when people are using the two prong unearthed power plugs on their adaptors, but the only situations I've seen where the issue continues when using the earthed leeds have subsequently proved to involved defective, unearthed, building wiring. (I've experienced this myself in outback Queensland).

Cheers

Rod

Feb 9, 2010 2:28 PM in response to BillsMBP

I am curious about this issue because I have been experiencing the same thing. I have the newer MBP and my boyfriend has an older G4, both plugged into the same outlet, same situation as you. we have noticed whenever when are working on our laptops and touch, we get an electric shock/current feeling. it is definitely not the same as a static shock- it is more constant and painful. when I am not touching my MBP, there is no shock.

I'm hoping it's not some sort of odd default-just plain science at work!

Feb 13, 2010 1:58 AM in response to BillsMBP

I am happy that I found this post. I have the same buzzing, feeling when my unibody MBP is plugged in. I thought it was strange but ignored it as I found no problems. I work on a computer(normally this one) for 10 hours a day. For the past few months the pinky finger, the ring finger and half of my left hand on the outside has been asleep. It started small and has grown to full pain. That is the only way I can describe he feeling. It is that feeling when your hand is not totally "dead" but right when the blood starts to return and you have that prickly painful sensation. I have been very worried about this and though I had circulation problems or something else wrong. I told this to my doctor who checked me for everything but could find no problem. He generalized it as neuropathy. Now reading in this post and others that there can be up to 50V running through the nerves of my hand for extended periods of time I think I have diagnosed my own problem. My right hand is fine but I use a mouse. If anyone else is having problems with unexplained tingling or numbness and are using a MBP please let me know. I recommend NOT ignoring this. I am hoping Apple will solve the problem and for now I will use my machine not plugged in if I use it at all. Hopefully my numbness goes away and is not permanent.

Feb 13, 2010 8:11 AM in response to eww

I just connected the 3 prong grounded cord to my charging unit and the shocking/vibration has stopped. I have always thought of that piece as an extension cord as the machine also comes supplied with the "normal" 2 prong adaptor that clips straight into the charger.

Apple really should warn the public about this.

Feb 13, 2010 9:15 AM in response to eww

I can find an outlet tester locally. I am inclined to believe however that since a home inspection was done; the wiring is fine especially since the shocking stopped as soon as I plugged in the 3 prong grounded extension/cable you told me about. I had it as it was also supplied with the computer. Unfortunately I didn't know to use it and the 2 prong came with no warnings. Maybe it should of. I am not an electrician though and am not qualified to determine proper house wiring even with a tester in my hand. I would rather be cautious and safe than sorry like I am now. It is not out of the question that there could be a wiring problem and I'm not willing to risk it. What's disturbing me is that I don't see how a 2 prong plug can under any circumstances carry a ground to the outer casing of the MBP if indeed that is what is happening. I would think that before 2 prong plugs were released the potential of shocking hazard would have been looked into. The MBP is obviously a big piece of aluminum which no doubt carries electricity quite well.

Feb 13, 2010 4:26 PM in response to BillsMBP

"Apple really should warn the public about this."

You should read the documentation that comes with your computer more closely. Too, one IEC requirement is that the computer will operate with only two prongs. Further, older homes do not have a separate ground wire - and the appropriate AC outlet - and a user is forced to use a two-prong power cord.

Regardless, you now know the cause and the solution of the problem.

Feb 18, 2010 12:20 AM in response to BillsMBP

This is maybe not the same issue but I get a small but quite unpleasant electric shock feeling if i touch anywhere along the edges/corners of my MBP. Say if I am typing and my arm brushes up against the edge, it is a burning/electric shock feeling. It doesn't happen if I am touching the flat surfaces, and since reading these earlier posts I've noticed it is only happening when I have I am plugged into a power source.
I'm a little concerned, has anyone else experienced this?
Mel

Feb 18, 2010 7:16 AM in response to Mel1985

The shock I was receiving felt more like a strange vibration. I only noticed it if I lightly ran my fingers over the surface especially on the part of the machine between the top row of keys and the screen. I wish it would have jolted me or done something severe as I would have immediately seen a problem and returned it to the store. This thing snuck up on me over time. The sensation of my hand being asleep has not lessened yet and I'm almost certain it's the result of long periods of lower voltage shocking. Don't underestimate this problem.

MBP shocking me and wife

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.