Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing 'Apple Application Support' for iTunes 9

When I try to install iTunes 9 on my Windows laptop (after uninstalling the old version) I cannot open it because it says "Apple Application Support" is not there.
So of course, now I can't access my music library because I can't install iTunes. Any ideas??
mf

iMac

Posted on Feb 6, 2010 7:19 PM

10 replies

Feb 6, 2010 10:07 PM in response to mare.frase

Okay. Let's try installing Apple Application Support and iTunes seperately.

First uninstall that existing version of iTunes, and uninstall Apple Application Support if it is still showing up in your Uninstall a program control panel (or your Add or Remove Programs control panel, if you've got XP).

Now we'll launch your Apple Software Update ("Start > All Programs > Apple Software Update"). *Do not install anything at this stage.*

In Apple Software Update, go "Tools > Open Downloaded Applications Folder". Delete any files currently in the Downloaded Applications folder.

Now go back into the main ASU screen. Select iTunes, and go "Tools > Download only".

After the downloads have completed, go back into the Downloaded Applications folder. Doubleclick on the AppleApplicationSupport.msi file to start a standalone Apple Application Support install.

Does that seem to go through okay? If so, head back into the downloaded applications folder and doubleclick the iTunes.msi to do the iTunes install.

Does that one go through okay too? If so, try launching iTunes. Does it launch properly this time?

Feb 6, 2010 11:29 PM in response to b noir

Encountered another problem. The install of the Apple Application Support file was going just fine until it got to Publishing Product Information, when it seemed to freeze and then I got an error message. I have transcribed it in full below because I can't work out what bit is important!

An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, version="8.0.50727.4053", type="win32",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e8e3b",process or Architecture ="x-86". HRESULT:0x80070020.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
mf

Feb 6, 2010 11:43 PM in response to mare.frase

🙂 Well done mf. The following bit is the most important with one of these:

HRESULT:0x80070020

These ones tend to correspond to equivalent error message codes that people get when downloading Windows updates. The 0x80070020 tends to indicate interference, particularly by security software. But other programs might also interfere.

So we're going to try to do the installs with as much shut down as possible. Print out a copy of these instructions. It's going to be best not to have a web browser running at the sharp end of things.

Restart the PC. Don't open any applications after the restart, except for Apple Software Update. In ASU, open the Downloaded Applications folder. Now quit out of ASU, leaving the Downloaded Applications folder window open.

Now disconnect from your network and/or the internet. Then switch off all your security software (firewall, antivirus, antispyware.

Now attempt to do the standalone Apple Application Support install again. If it goes through okay this time, try the iTunes install.

Reenable all security software prior to reconnecting to your network and/or the internet.

Any better luck with security software and everything else shut down?

Feb 8, 2010 10:06 AM in response to mare.frase

Can you tell me though, can I load the backup dvd from that computer into an iTunes library on another computer? I don't have the iPod anymore.

Yes, back-up disks can be used to transfer an iTunes to another computer.

Another option (if you have all your content files and library files in the default location) is to copy across the iTunes folder in:

C:\Users\<yourvistauseraccountname>\Music\

... to the same location on the new PC (assuming you've getting another Vista box).

Missing 'Apple Application Support' for iTunes 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.