Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[Problem] Applying latest combo update...

We used to be able to re-apply the latest combo update to our system - even if we were already up-to-date - to fix random problems and such. I used to do that up until 10.5 with no problems. For example, you could easily re-apply the 10.5.8 combo update on a 10.5.8 system when it started having small hickups and random weirdness. Always had great succes using that method...

Long story short, I had a power outage the other night and my iMac (running 10.6.2) obviously wasn't shut down properly (yeah, already ordered a UPS to prevent that happening again). After the power came back, iMac wouldn't boot with extensions on (it would hang on the grey Apple logo screen), Bluetooth was busted making the MagicMouse useless (had to dig up from the basement an old USB mouse). My first reflex was to download the latest 10.6.2 combo update to try to bring some sense back into the iMac. Surprise surprise, the installer reported that my system didn't qualify for this update (?!?!?!!?)

Is this new with Snow Leopard? Aren't we able to re-apply the combo updates anymore? Thanks!!!

iMac 27" quad-core i5, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4GB DDR3 SDRAM

Posted on Feb 7, 2010 7:02 AM

7 replies

Feb 7, 2010 7:05 AM in response to fnankivell

You can reapply the combo update in SL. However, based on it not starting up again, I think you have more corruption than the combo update could fix. That corruption is probably keeping you from reapplying the update.

I would suggest booting up with the SL install disk and repairing your disk using Disk Utility. After selecting the language, there will be a Utilities menu where you can select Disk Utility.

Feb 7, 2010 7:15 AM in response to fnankivell

I do have the appropriate combo update. Imagine that : I can't even boot from the install DVD, it also hangs on the grey Apple logo screen! So I'm pretty much stuck booting with extensions off and that's it. Ran all the standard troubleshooting methods (using Onyx : repaired permissions, checked disc catalog, checked corrupt pref files, etc.) Also used Disk Utility and it reports nothing wrong.

Now, if I can't boot off the install DVD, how can I "Archive and Install" the OS?

[Problem] Applying latest combo update...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.