Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sending SYSEX MIDI messages through Logic Pro 8

Hello,

I have a controller surface (NOVATION Remote25SL) on which i have programmed SYSEX controller for controlling a ROLAND SoniCell. It works fine when the machines are directly both connected together.

When I connect the 2 machines via MIDI ports of my MIDI interface (ESI M4UXL 8 MIDI in/out ports) I can link them via Logic Pro passing through an external MIDI track.

I can play Notes, CC controllers, NRPN, etc... but not the SYSEX MIDI messages.

A monitor in the environnement display the message (X 1 0 0). I think X = SYSEX, 1 = Midi channel, and 0 0 = value (it's always 0 0 even if i move a controller)... but the MIDI activity LED on the synth Sonicell don't light. It lights (and it works) with note ON/OFF messages, CC messages, or NRPN...

Is there anyone who can help me?

Thank you.

Pierre

MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), APOGEE Ensemble, ESI M4UXL 8 MIDI ports, ROLAND Soniccell, NOVATION Remote25SL

Posted on Feb 7, 2010 9:54 AM

6 replies

Feb 7, 2010 10:07 AM in response to pit_jj72

A monitor in the environnement display the message (X 1 0 0). I think X = SYSEX,

X's are sysex messages yes. The following bytes will vary, but it's mainly manufacturer ID code, an encoded MIDI channel, some header bytes and then the data or parameter. I'm can't remember offhand what the monitor displays - I think it doesn't display the data at all.

Try recording some sysex messages into a region, and then using the event list to look at the data. Does it look correct?

Check that you are not filtering or changing sysex in the interface. Logic should just pass through incoming sysex without problems, but those messages

Feb 7, 2010 2:57 PM in response to Bee Jay

Thank you Bee Jay,
I confirm that i don't filtering the SYSEX MIDI messages (File>Project Settings>MIDI>Input Filter).
I have recorded some SYSEX messages on a region. It's ok, it appears perfectly on the event list.
The most interesting is that the SYSEX messages recorded are sent to the synth when played after!

In fact, for the moment, SYSEX are not directly sent to the synth when played "live" (like every other MIDI messages such as notes, pitch bend, etc...). It's annoying to record them... But they are sent when played from a (recorded) region.

Do you understand me? ^__^

Thank you very much for your help!

ps : ErikSimon is a Stallon fan? Haha!

sending SYSEX MIDI messages through Logic Pro 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.