Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano 5G How long is the play back time on a fully battery?

Hi I received an iPod 5G 16GB at Christmas, could you please tell me how many hours of music/radio useage I should expect after a full charge? My Nano is also set to a 2 second limit for the backlight response and medium brightness. Have heard 24 hours but after an hour the battery looks maybe 10% less. Also is it true that you can take the Nano to the Apple store for a quick battery check? Thanks

Nano 5G

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 12:06 PM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2010 12:13 PM in response to iPodNuUser

They can run diags on it and see if anything is wrong.
Regardless of what the meter shows, how long does it actually last?
Here how you can test the battery -> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1322
It doesn't list the 5G nano but the specs are here -> http://support.apple.com/kb/SP569
"Battery and power
Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Playback time
Music playback time: Up to 24 hours when fully charged
Video playback time: Up to 5 hours when fully charged"

Feb 14, 2010 10:32 AM in response to iPodNuUser

I had a full charge on my 5G 16GB nano last night and its still playing music now. I select shuffle songs from the main menu and my music is 192kbps+, most of it is 256kbps+ though with many, many albums at 320kbps. Ive got the energy saver off, no eq, no sound check, plugged into a stereo cable into my receiver and the volume on the iPod is maxed. Im satisfied with the battery life Im seeing. Also, I never recharge until it is almost dead, good for keeping a battery healthy.

Message was edited by: tailsthecat

Feb 14, 2010 11:05 AM in response to tailsthecat

Mine has the backlight off - two second delay, but its been 5 and 1/2 hours over a couple of evenings. So, am guessing my battery is not very good? always leave it the until the battery is dead - am not impressed with this Nano, think am going to take it to the Apple store and get it tested. This was a gift for Xmas and I don't like how when you change from Menu to radio that the bar goes down on the battery. Apple am not impressed.

Message was edited by: iPodNuUser

Mar 11, 2010 3:37 AM in response to Jauhari

They say 24 hours for playback of music files NOT radio which is different.

Testing conducted by Apple in August 2009 using preproduction hardware and software. The playlist contained 358 unique audio tracks consisting of content imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC) and content purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC). Video content was purchased from the iTunes Store. Battery tests are conducted with specific iPod units; actual results may vary. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced (see www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery). Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

Mar 21, 2010 4:57 AM in response to Ian Parkinson

hello! I finally find a discusion about the radio 😀 So, is there a certun official number of hours for the listening of the radio, like in the case of the playback music-24? A "yes" or "no" is enough! One more thing does the the watching of a video consume the battery as much as the filming itself? Thank you very much!

iPod Nano 5G How long is the play back time on a fully battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.