Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Lab Computers Remotely via ARD and Automator

We would like to combine Automator and Apple remote Desktop to create a workflow that automatically logs in a lab full of Intel iMacs and MacMinis with a single local user account that is the same for all the computers. I have added two steps in Automator to make this workflow. The first is Choose Computer list (from ARD) and the second is Execute AppleScript. I have tried pasting the following code into the script window but it doesn't work:

osascript <<EndOfMyScript
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "username"
keystroke return
delay 3.0
keystroke "pswrd"
delay 3.0
keystroke tab
keystroke return
keystroke return
end tell
EndOfMyScript

Running this action in Automator gives me a "No Console User" error message in ARD. I've read a few places that I need to run it as the root user but I'm not sure where I would tell Automator to execute the Apple Script as a different user.

We would love to be able automate the login process. I honestly don't understand why ARD wouldn't just have a "login as" command built-in with the log off current user command. It seems like a no-brainer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 2Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 12:48 PM

2 replies

Apr 13, 2010 6:52 AM in response to The Other Tim Schwartz

Came across this post and I wanted to know if you ever got this to work. Here is my dilemma. I have a lab of Imacs- Snow Leopard- and my school district has put their image on the login screen. The login screen contains the individual users plus "other" and the "administrator" names. Right now, I have to turn the computers on, click on the administrator icon, then login the password. I do this one computer at a time. Pain in the rear logging one computer on at a time when doing updates. Any suggestion on a workflow script or whether this could be done at the server?? I am kind of a novice with scripting and using automator.

Please help at your convenience. Thank you.

Login Lab Computers Remotely via ARD and Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.