Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sent messages gone from Time Machine

I posted this on the Time Machine forum and they sent me here. I have several issues, one of which is Mail going offline frequently throughout the day when I have not instructed it to do so, and refusing to go on-line when I request it. I have to close the program, reopen it, and it's back on-line. A few minutes later, it's offline again. I read in the Discussions to trash the prefs and re-enter all my account info. I didn't get that far because as soon as I trashed the prefs all my Sent mails were gone. I went into Time Machine to retrieve them and they aren't there. I've tried rebuilding the Mailboxes, no go. I also dragged the prefs out of the Trash and put them back. Still nothing. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and where my e-mails went? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 3:00 PM

14 replies

Feb 9, 2010 11:38 AM in response to Daisy Newcomb

Do you have both IMAP and POP accounts? It sounds like you may not have actually removed the com.apple.mail.plist file? If you have a MobileMe account, the info for that is also available in System Preferences and when you remove the plist, it grabs the MobileMe account info from that source. Do you have a MobileMe account in addition to the POP account?

Ernie

Feb 9, 2010 9:30 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

This issue sounds suspiciously similar to my recent post ... Mail 4.2 is "deleting" all of my downloaded POP Inbox and Sent messages older than 30 days and these are not available in my Time Machine either.

I was always able to access old messages well beyond 30 days (even 2 years old) but now it appears that the only things left are the headers in those mail boxes. I just noticed this this week.

Check out my post and share any thoughts ... thanks so much, Greg

Feb 10, 2010 9:43 AM in response to Daisy Newcomb

If some action deleted the messages, then on the next backup by TM they may be gone depending on how many cycles of backup have taken place. TM does not preserve into perpetuity.

In Mail Preferences/Accounts/Mailbox Behaviors, confirm that Never is selected for when to remove Sent messages?

Do you have any other backup software or Mail enhancement plugins or applications installed?

Ernie

May 5, 2010 1:35 PM in response to Daisy Newcomb

I too have just noticed that without any warning, ALL of my Sent email from older than a month ago are GONE.

They are not in my Library > Mail directories. They are gone - and I have not set Mail to delete ANYTHING.

I will be most upset if indeed Time Machine doesn't have these either.

Really Apple?!?!!? WTH is the point in relying on your software if it is only going to FAIL?

Any thoughts?

Sent messages gone from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.