2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2010 3:12 PM by ovelky
ovelky Level 1 Level 1
expertise.macosx
Mac OS X
My adult daughter's iMac had been acting up for several days and now has a flashing question mark. Disk Utility reports the Volume is Okay. I tried Archive and Install but it failed twice. I need to do a complete erase and install, but she has hundreds of photos of her children on it with NO backup (photos are in iPhoto and Aperture). I have a clean PowerPC G5 and an Intel MacBook both with Leopard (10.5.8) installed. Is there any way to access her sick iMac (via Target Disk mode, or some other way, to somehow save her photos? (F.Y.I., She really doesn't have the money for repairs or data recovery.) Please help me help her.

iMac (2007), Mac OS X (10.5.8)
Reply by Kappy on Feb 8, 2010 7:29 PM Helpful
If both computers have Firewire ports then you can use Target Disk Mode. Turn off both computers and connect a Firewire cable between them. Boot your daughter's computer into TDM. Then boot your computer normally. After startup her hard drive should appear on your Desktop assuming the drive is accessible. You can then attempt to backup her files to your computer or another hard drive connected to your computer.

All replies

• Kappy Level 10 Level 10
    If both computers have Firewire ports then you can use Target Disk Mode. Turn off both computers and connect a Firewire cable between them. Boot your daughter's computer into TDM. Then boot your computer normally. After startup her hard drive should appear on your Desktop assuming the drive is accessible. You can then attempt to backup her files to your computer or another hard drive connected to your computer.
  • ovelky Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X
    Using Target Disk Mode worked perfectly and I was able to recover all of my daughter's photos! Now for the tedious process of reinstalling everything. Thanks so much for your help.