Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I have a relatively new installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and have not moved the "Music Folder" to a new location. I have moved the "My Documents" folder to a new location tho. Inside of the "My Documents" folder, I see folders named "My Albums" and "Music Lyrics", but no "Music" or "My Music".

After installing the 64-bit version of iTunes, I get the following error.
--------------------------
The folder "iTunes" cannot be found or created and is required.
The default location for this folder is inside the "Music" folder.
--------------------------

I have researched and seen many references to this error and Windows XP, but nothing for Windows 7.

Ideas?

Home Made, Windows 7, 64-Bit

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 7:50 PM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2010 6:54 PM in response to Just As I Am

Something may be awry with the special registry permissions on the My Music folder, Just. I think the iTunes installer looks for those in order to determine just where the default location of My Music is on a given computer.

But since this is a first-time install, the situation should be pretty simple to recover from.

Hold down the shift key when you go to launch iTunes. In the dialog box that comes up, select "Create library" and put the library where you please.

Probably a good idea after doing that to try launching iTunes again, just to make sure that it is still finding the iTunes folder. But by default, next time you open iTunes (after creating a new library), it should try to open the library in the location you created the library in.

iTunes 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.