Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

networking between iMac and Macbook Air

As a relatively new Mac user I'm not sure how the networking function works. I have a large iTunes library... 150GB+. What I'd like to do is to keep the library on my iMac, but be able to access it using a MBA.

I know I can do this via the sharing feature. What I'm wondering is whether I could have full connectivity and access to the files. As if they were sitting on the MBA hard drive.

Can I add music to the library on the iMac from the MBA?
Can I edit track info?
Can I sync my iPod?

Thanks.

iMac 20" 2.66 1TB, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 11:16 AM

I think you can do this.

You'll want to make your iMac available as a server via your sharing preferences.

Then check with your macbook to see if the iMac shows on the network.

If so, start iTunes (on your macbook) while pressing the option key, select choose library, and navigate to the iTunes folder in the music folder on your imac and select it.

This is mostly intuitive guesswork on my part.....
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2010 11:16 AM in response to gsaab

I think you can do this.

You'll want to make your iMac available as a server via your sharing preferences.

Then check with your macbook to see if the iMac shows on the network.

If so, start iTunes (on your macbook) while pressing the option key, select choose library, and navigate to the iTunes folder in the music folder on your imac and select it.

This is mostly intuitive guesswork on my part.....

networking between iMac and Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.