Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tether support for canon 5dII?

or any other canons in aperture 3?

mbp, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 3:35 PM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2010 6:38 PM in response to psssss

Actually, before slapping the cuffs on Apple's engineers and hauling them away to jail, it may be beneficial to look at this page with a few things in mind...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1085

I shoot Canon and use Aperture in my studio. I have been wanting to go up to the 5DII, as well as replace my aging 20D with a 50D. But will hold off a bit longer since neither of these cameras can tether to Aperture. Why? Most of the blame should be hefted toward Canon's corner.

Before the Mark III, Canon used a standard tethering protocol for their cameras. Since then, all the Canons coming out have switched to a proprietary tethering protocol, which can only be used with their software.

As you can see from the list of cameras above, all the Nikons work with Aperture.

Until Apple reverse engineers the Canon software (doubtful), Canon goes back to the industry standard protocol (doubtful) or Canon gives Apple access to their code - it is more than likely Canon cameras will not be tethered to Aperture.

So, I will stick with my 5D and keep my tethering abilities a bit longer.

Feb 11, 2010 6:45 PM in response to psssss

Well, that's all fine and well, but Apple has had over 2 years to come up with something.

This is a pro application, or at least they told everyone that it is, but yet it can't be used in a commonly pro fashion.

Why is it that other companies including OnOne Software were able to do it, yet Apple can't?

With the rest of the performance issues with this release, it is obvious that Apple is losing the battle. I'm just sorry that I trusted Apple would do the right thing and I plunked down my cash already. Now, it looks like I'm going to have to go the Adobe route instead.

It's just sad, I really like Aperture, but it just can't be used like this, at least not in a professional capacity.

tether support for canon 5dII?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.