Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3 and Scroll Wheel Mouse

Ok so I just downloaded the trial and imported a folder of pictures to start playing around with. The first thing I noticed is that using the scroll wheel on my mouse no longer lets me move through the pictures. In Aperture 2, if I hovered my cursor over the viewer, moving the scroll wheel down would take me to the next picture, moving it up would take me to the previous picture, etc. If I'm zoomed in on the image, the scroll wheel would move around the view of the image. Now in version 3, the behavior while zoomed in is the same, but if I'm zoomed out then using the scroll wheel does nothing. Am I missing something here?

8-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro (2008), Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 7:21 PM

30 replies

Feb 9, 2010 7:55 PM in response to JJakucyk

It may be related to some issues I've noticed with Aperture 2 and the Magic Mouse-- all it takes is a slight mis-placed finger on the Magic Mouse and it jumps lots of images when you never intended it to. It will make changes to sliders if you forget to click-off the slider and then touch the Magic Mouse. And the list goes on. I really want a way to disable the scroll feature of the Magic Mouse while in Aperture and Photoshop to prevent unintentional adjustments or wild jumps around the library. Apple may have gotten feedback about this and decided to disable the scroll features in certain situations. Remember- the Magic Mouse is the mouse that ships with their computers.

Feb 9, 2010 8:02 PM in response to JJakucyk

I'm using an aftermarket mouse and was, in Aperture2, able to do as you stated. Move the scroll wheel when viewing an image and move through images in my library.
In Aperture3 moving the scroll wheel, other than when zoomed in 100% does nothing. I definitely miss the ability to scroll through images when in full screen view without having to touch the keyboard.

Feb 10, 2010 6:58 PM in response to JJakucyk

This was the first thing I noticed... I spent like 20 minutes looking through all the menus and the customizable key commands for some way to change the mouse behavior. this is something i do CONSTANTLY while using this piece of software ,so its really frustrating.

What I did in the mean time was use USB Overdrive, (which is nice since i have a logitech G5) and i set up the Aperture application to have specific settings, so scroll down = right keystroke, and scrollup = left keystroke... This works great in full view, the only problem is scrolling in browser view, or the inspector.

Feb 11, 2010 12:01 AM in response to Malechite

Oh my god Apple Aperture, what is wrong with you team, I was and am still in panic after launched knowing that I can't scroll through images with my scroll mouse. That is the main reason I use Aperture for fantastic thumbnail preview scrolling, this feature being removed is unreasonable for user like me and it greatly affects productivity.

Can I use this updated Aperture library back with Aperture 2?

Aperture 3 and Scroll Wheel Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.