Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set a primary or default outgoing email address

I send out a newsletter to a few hundred people each month using a group list. For some of these people, I have more than one email address in Address Book. Typically it is a "work" email address and a "home" email address. How can I set one of these multiple addresses as the one that is used by Mail when sending to a group?

It appears that Mail chooses the first address that is displayed in the Address Book display, and there does not appear to be a way to set the order in which Address Book displays these. If one of the addresses is a "work" address and the other is a "home" address, the work address always appears first (I think), despite the order in which the addresses were originally entered when the address card was created. And this order is not (necessarily?) the order that appears while I type in the To: field using the auto-fill-while-typing (my phrase) feature.

I suppose I could create two cards for the person, each with a different email address, and put only the one I want to use into the group list as a work around, but that seems to defeat the purpose of the feature of having all the information for a person in a single address book card.

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 24", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 3:30 AM

5 replies

Feb 11, 2010 4:02 AM in response to Barney-15E

That is certainly doable, but not easily. Recall that we are talking about a few hundred people in the email through which I would have to find the few-to-several that need correcting, and I would have to do this every time I send an email.

Furthermore, I just discovered when trying this out that there appears to be no order to the list of addresses in the To: line when I address the email to a group, making it a poor workaround.

Message was edited by: Fred L Johnson

How to set a primary or default outgoing email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.