Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVCHD Lite Clips seem speeded up

I've now imported several clips shot in AVCHD Lite on my Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 into iMovie. They look great EXCEPT that they seem to be speeded up, and have a kind of "Keystone Kops" quality to them.

It appears as if the frame rate is off. What could be causing that, and how can I adjust it?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 4:26 PM

13 replies

Feb 10, 2010 9:20 PM in response to Nina Tovish

I just compared the length of the clips as recorded on my camera with the length as imported into iMovie 8... and to my shock, they are HALF AS LONG.

Half the frames are missing!

What's odd, is that the sound doesn't seem distorted (not that these particular clips have anything on them other than wind noise).

SO: why is iMovie dropping every other frame when importing these AVCHD Lite files? And what can I do about it?

Feb 10, 2010 9:31 PM in response to Nina Tovish

Okay, one other bit of information to add to the story.

When I plug in my camera and the Camera Import window opens, the clips are shown AT THEIR CORRECT LENGTH, and can be played back in the import window at the correct speed. But once I import them... they get chopped in half.

I have checked all my preference and project setting to see if anything I'm doing might be causing this, but I can find nothing that would seem to be relevant.

Any help gratefully received.

Feb 22, 2010 1:23 PM in response to Nina Tovish

Hi Nina,

I too have the same problem. The AVCHD format records at 60fps while iMovie imports at 30fps and is the reason why the video portion of the clip is speeded up while the audio plays normally and gets cut off half way through. If you watch an imported video you will see that the video and audio will be out of sync.

AVCHD is a heavily compressed high-def format which is great because it saves space on your computer hard drive, but iMovie '08 does not play the AVCHD (*.mts) file format. iMovie trys to convert the file into a format it can play, but will also take up much more space on your hard drive.

I personally would prefer to leave my AVCHD files in their native format to save hard drive space and accept that fact that I can NOT edit them unless I decide to convert them.

I have been reading posts on the apple discussion site and most related topics lead me to programs that convert the AVCHD (*.mts) files to formats that are compatible with iMovie. While this would be a step in the right direction, it is not exactly what I am after.

I will update you if I find something!

P.S. The possible conversion programs are Handbrake (Free), MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac ($29), Voltaic ($40) and possibly others that I can not remember. Another option which I have not confirm is to upgrade to iMovie '09, but once again that will convert the files and make them much larger.

Apr 18, 2010 1:55 PM in response to egc1974

Originally I had this problem for all videos that I originally imported/exported with PhotoFunStudio on my Windows box. Then when I tried to read in these exported files on my Mac it would double the framerate. However, files that were not touched with PhotoFunStudio came out with a correct framerate. Is anyone else here using the software that comes with the Lumix (PhotoFunStudio)?

Jun 14, 2010 7:09 PM in response to joe boater

As we know, although Apple has made it clear that iMovie 09’ is able to edit the AVCHD Lite video, but I hang out the video editing forums, questions like “I wasn’t able to import AVCHD Lite to iMovie…” come up from time to time. For those who have got into trouble when load the AVCHD Lite MTS video to iMovie 08’ (or even 09’), I am going to share a guide which might be a trick to solve the problem. In order to have the AVCHD Lite video files generated by the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT1 work with iMovie, you can convert these footage to iMovie compatible formats like MOV or DV.

For more information you can refer to this guide: http://www.pavtube.com/guide/avchd-lite-to-imovie.html

Oct 20, 2010 7:04 PM in response to FrancescaD

Looking to see if anyone found a resolution to videos you have already imported into iMovie that are sped up. I have realized what I need to do now with current video on my camera (either convert the .mts file or record in motion jpg), but I have a lot of video on my mac that I no longer have on my camera, and all of it is sped up whether I watch it in iMovie or QuickTime. I'm really hoping iMovie didn't completely screw up all my videos I have previously imported.

AVCHD Lite Clips seem speeded up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.