Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL Instant Messenger Login Problem

Hi guys and gals,

So I've been having a problem for quite some time now and I was hoping someone might have experienced the same problem and can tell me just how to fix it...

So I've been using iChat for years with my AIM password and login and have never had a problem. Just recently, someone hacked in to my account and started spamming people from my account. Because of this I had to change my password. When I entered the new password into iChat, it gave me the following error:

*AOL Instant Messenger Login*
iChat was unable to login to the AOL Instant
Messenger service because your screen name or
password was incorrect.

I know the password is correct and the account works if I sign in with AIM; however, I hate AIM and want to use the account with iChat. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iChat. I've also tried deleting my account and recreating it with the new password but that didn't work either.

Has anyone experienced this before or does anyone know how I can get iChat to work again? Thank you so much!

Mac Pro (3,1), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 10, 2010 6:08 PM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2010 11:43 AM in response to Patriot15

Hi,

Use this Users Tip to check the Keychain entry for your AIM name
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=121885

You may find you have two entries in the passwords section for your Screen Name.

It may also pay to delete the com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist after removing the passwords row or stars in iChat and well as deleting any extra Keychain items and changing the password there.

Then Restart iChat so that it re-writes the plist from defaults and current Keychain info.

User uploaded file

7:43 PM Friday; February 12, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

Feb 16, 2010 7:18 AM in response to PATRlOT

I did say Delete them.

I said to find out if the AIM Screen name listed there agreed with the Password you had set at the AIM Web site.

AS the Keychain tends to not know that you are changing the password it creates a second entry for the Screen Name.

If this bit was true then the com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist may be calling back the "wrong"/Old info from the Keychain.

Deleting the Old item in the Keychain may help if the com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist is not just telling the Keychain the info again and effectively putting it back.

User uploaded file

3:18 PM Tuesday; February 16, 2010

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

AOL Instant Messenger Login Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.