Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro raid card battery

I have a Late 2008 Mac pro with one 15,000 RPM Hard drive. When I bought it in December 2008, I had to get a mac pro raid card because of the high speed drive.
Now has you can understand this raid card is not really used to make a redundant array of independent disks" because there is only one disk.

The problem is that every 3 months or so the battery is conditioned.

Well guess what on february 6 (14 months after it was bought) raid utility reported the battery was Kaput and that cache were disabled.

I am not sure but I think that the cache maintained by the battery is important if you have like 2 hd on raid 0. But what is the importance of that cache if I have only one very fast disk.

I have been trying to order a battery to replace the dead one after having found a Kbase article explaining how to change the battery. But up to now the only answer I got from people at Apple is that I would have to buy an new RAID card.

Is that for real.... Do I have to buy a new card for a dead battery...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ray

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 11, 2010 5:49 PM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2010 6:59 AM in response to Raymond Borja

I have the same model and Raid card and the battery can definitely be changed. Getting the card in and out is dicey and I made Apple Care send someone out to do it, but once you get the card out, it's easy to change the battery. Sorry I don't know the part # of the battery as it was all handled by their on-site tech. BTW, my raid card died altogether last week and is being replaced as we speak.

Mac Pro raid card battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.