7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2010 11:43 AM by yet another...
Terry Smelker Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
I have been given some video to edit, that was shot on a consumer DV camera, of a stage production, and there's lots of graininess/banding where's light fall off- mostly on the background of the stage. Other than cropping the image in each shot, is there an easy way to reduce or remove this? I'm still getting my feet wet in FCS 2.

PM G5 (Late 2005) 2x 2.3GHz, 6.5GB RAM | PowerBook 15", 1.5 GHz (Leopard), Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 1st Gen 8GB- v3.1.3
  • Jerry Hofmann Level 9 Level 9 (53,940 points)
    You can lower the black levels with the 3 way color corrector in FCP or use Color. will kill the detail where you see noise in the lower dark areas.

Jerry
  • David Bogie Chq-1 Level 7 Level 7 (24,930 points)
    Not really.
    If you apply enough grain reduction (using third party filters or other complicated hacks) you usually end up with an obviously artificial look to the video.

You can search the forums for GRAIN REDUCTION to see how others have dealt with similar issues but there's nothing magic about correcting bad video in FCP. The results are generally just badly corrected bad video.

Graeme's Big Box is pretty good.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/BigBox/NoiseReduction/GSpatialNR.htm

bogiesan
  • Studio X Level 7 Level 7 (26,970 points)
    Graeme also has a version of the de-noise filter for Color. It can be found under the Color section of his website.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/FinalTouch/FinalTouch.htm

x

Message was edited by: Studio X
  • Jerry Hofmann Level 9 Level 9 (53,940 points)
    The best grain reduction technique is to not shoot it in the first place.

Jerry
  • David Bogie Chq-1 Level 7 Level 7 (24,930 points)
    Jerry Hofmann wrote:
    The best grain reduction technique is to not shoot it in the first place.
    Jerry

The next best solution is to refuse to accept bad and improperly executed video from your client/friend. Not always an option., however, you've got to make them aware of a simple fact: just because it's DV (or "digital") doesn't mean it's salvageable.

You've probably been given video that was shot on full auto exposure with the gain at 18db. So your settings for any grain reduction will be constantly shifting with lighting and costumes.

bogiesan
  • D Gilmore Level 4 Level 4 (3,525 points)
    You may also want to consider creating a stylized look to compensate for what sounds like low lighting near the edges of the video clips.

If that's the case you might try using the Vignette. Use the Effects pulldown menu go to Effects>Video Filters>Stylize>Vignette

Apply the filter to a clip, double click it into the Viewer, then adjust it to your preference using the Filters tab in the Viewer. If you like what you see you can then apply it to other scenes/clips.
  • yet another... Level 2 Level 2 (200 points)
    I have been doing this for a ridiculously long time, and I find it a little annoying to get the (true) advice that you shouldn't shoot grainy video in the first place, or accept it from somebody who has. It just doesn't help you remedy your problem; somebody gave you grainy video - and you wish to help that person. The best answers have been the initial reply: reduce the black level slightly to get a marked improvement:

Effects > Video Filters > Color Corrector > Color Corrector 3-way (drag "Blacks" slider slightly left to taste)

The other good advice I agree with is to create a "look". A filmic look or a Sepia look could actually play well in this case, but the nice thing about creating a look is that you can do anything really, and it will be great! As long as it helps to make it more interesting, they'll love it. I realize I haven't actually contributed anything here, but I think you should trust the two suggestions I like, and ignore the frustrating rear-view mirror comments. -s