Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best sounding Mastering software to use in Logic?

Outside of using a Mastering studio, what is the best sounding Mastering software on the market? I've seen the products like Waves & Ozone 4 but I've never heard some of the other products out there besides my factory installed Logic stuff and a demo of Ozone 3. I'd hate to waste money on something that isn't as good as another and it's hard to decide what to purchase without being able to hear it. This post is for everyone's input & advice. Thanks!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 8 Gigs RAM

Posted on Feb 13, 2010 7:58 AM

14 replies

Feb 13, 2010 9:10 AM in response to makinmuzic2@aol.com

The best software? Your brain and a trained ear.

Not a snarky response. Those two factors are the only way to accomplish successful mastering. It doesn't have anything to do with the plug-ins. A processor is just a tool, like a hammer. If you can't strike the nail, it's not going to do the job.

Somebody that knows what they are doing will make a better final mix on a basic app like GarageBand than Logic Pro run by an amature mashing preset buttons on an expensive plug-in.

Feb 15, 2010 2:12 AM in response to makinmuzic2@aol.com

Skills, experience, good ears (in perfect listening enviroment), good monitoring (including high quality DA converter - in case you do not use digital monitors etc.),

Yes

I agree that those are all necessary

but

it's not true it is all about it.

If you plan to use plugins or all-in-the-box processing, you need to use "right" tools.

What processing you probably will employ during (pre)mastering? Depending on the material (and not necessarily in following order) you will want to compress (maybe more compressors in series or / and paralell compression), EQ, add some coloration maybe, maybe add more space (slightly) limit at the end.
You better check out, if the plugins you plan to use are not causing "aliasing". Use rather linear phase type of EQs for example.
You might find that necessary de-ess the vocal and you probably will need to employ M/S processing (split the signal to the mid and side parts) and de-ess only the "centre" where the vocal 99% of times is. In this case I do not recommend Logic deesser. This is one of a few Logic plugins I really do not like - probably because I did not find how to use it properly. I tend to use UAD precission deesser. And there are more good ones - from Sonnox, Eiosis and more.
In case of multiband compressors (or dynamic EQs) I do not think that Logic multiband is that bad, although Waves LinMB I like more, but that is because I know it for longer time and I am used to it.

You may want to use some reverb. In serious mastering studios you will see some high-priced top quality digital reverbs like the one from TC system 6000 or Bricasti stuff. But for your needs you may even employ Spacedesigner and load some quality impulse from TC6000 or Bricasti for example. Google it. Or use some high quality artificial reverb plugin (well, if you use it right I bet that no-one will tell you "... I see that you used Ozone3 reverb on this one!").

In case of coloration - it is not only about "color-adding" plugins. Again, it is all about the source material and desired result. If the source stuff is recorded and mixed with analog gear, you may want to use transparent EQs and compressors (I mean you will need to use transparent processing if the source material is 100% digital recording and the desired result is 100% pure transparent sound you know?). I like stuff like URS Saturation, Soundtoys Decapitator or DUY DAD Tape, but that is highly subjective and I use those during mixing but I do not see a reason why should not one use those during (pre)mastering if there is a reason.

Finally limiter. Hmmm, the logic one is not my favourite for (pre)mastering but I can not say I did not hear good results with it. My favourite ones are Sonnox limiter or UAD Precission limiter. The one in Ozone3 is not that bad either.

You wrote: I'd hate to waste money on something that isn't as good as another and it's hard to decide what to purchase without being able to hear it.

Well, you have to try demos. 99% of stuff is available as demo. You may need to buy iLok, but it is worth a try. I recommend to read some basics first ("Mastering audio demystified" from Bob Katz for example) so you know what you should focus at. Presets are sometimes good as starting points during mixing. I would never use them during (pre)mastering.

PS - logic has nice match EQ to COMPARE two different sources-good for studying purposes

Feb 15, 2010 7:31 AM in response to Diamond Dog

Great advice here! I've experimented with the match EQ and I kind of like the results, too. I also kind of like the Ozone 3 and have been leaning that way because of the price & the decent sound. From what I've read, it sounds like I should check out the Waves LinMB & the Sonnox demos and that I don't need much more than my capabilities. Have you heard of Har-Bal (I hope I spelled that correctly)? A relatively inexpensive program that I've read some great reviews to but haven't heard,yet. I already have great monitors (Adam S2.5 A) Apogee AD-16X-Rosetta conversion along with the Apogee Symphony system. So, I think that I'm already in the ballpark:) So, I'll start looking for those demos and thank you so much for your advice! Yes, I believe that you need to know how to work the tools that you have but most any laboror would tell you that it's always better to have the right tool to do the job better.

Feb 15, 2010 8:20 AM in response to makinmuzic2@aol.com

If you already understand mastering and how to get the most out of the built-in Logic tools, and are still unhappy with your final product, read no further and try 3rd party stuff per the above posts.

If however, you haven't tried to master with the built-in Logic plugs I recommend the following video for $49.

<http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/Logic401>

I heard significant improvement in my material after I actually understood how to use what was already in my tool box....

Best of luck

Feb 15, 2010 9:07 AM in response to makinmuzic2@aol.com

A lot of useful info here but just to add to it...

Mastering is about getting your music to sound at its optimum in as many situations, set-ups, environments, as possible. Yes, when you initially start mastering a track, it is crucial to have a good environment (and you must be familiar with it!). However, it doesn't end in one environment - after all how many people who are going to hear the music are going to be sitting in your studio when they listen - next to none. Try your master out in as many places as possible - home stereo - ipod with headphones - in the car - round a friend's house - on a PA system if you can - anywhere you can. Make a note of any recurring problems in those places and account for it. Each place will sound different but get the best balance you can between them all and you're on your way...

May 1, 2010 6:28 PM in response to makinmuzic2@aol.com

That $49 video is actually really helpful. It breaks down the whole process and makes it much easier to understand for those like me who are really just trying to figure all this stuff out for the first time and have little studio experience. I found that my final masters got better and better after watching that a couple of times and tweaking and futzing with the Logic tools. I'm sure a real mastering studio would blow my stuff out of the water. However, for $49, quite a return on investment!

What's the best sounding Mastering software to use in Logic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.