Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard and RAW codecs

It seems that OS X finally supports RAW-files for a few new cameras, but it won't let me install the updates because I'm not using Iphoto or Aperture. Is there a workaround for this? I thought it should be easy to install this update, but it seems unless you are using Iphoto og Aperture they won't let you install these codec-updates.

I'm currently using Iview Media Pro/Expression Media which uses the OS' RAW codec to render files (unlike Lightroom which uses its own).

Thanks in advance,
-iau

Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 4:15 AM

12 replies

Apr 4, 2010 4:46 AM in response to iau

I don't have an answer, but am posting because I, too, find this situation frustrating and problematic. I've been waiting FOREVER for Apple to support my camera's RAW file format. I don't use Aperture or iPhoto 09. So I'm still unable to view my RAW files on my Mac in image-viewing software that relies on the operating system support for the format. (Which, as it happens, is Expression Media/iView. LOTs of photographers use this to catalog their image collections.)

Is it possible to disable the installer's checking for Aperture and/or iPhoto 09? Or is Apple in fact planning to make this support available more widely?

😟

null

May 23, 2010 11:09 PM in response to iau

same here

"I'm currently using Iview Media Pro/Expression Media which uses the OS' RAW codec to render files (unlike Lightroom which uses its own)."

I recently moved from Leopard to Snow Leopard but before I upgraded I was able to used both Preview and expressions Media with Nikon Raw files

So being that EM2 uses the apple system for rendering. it is the apples system that has changed in Snow

I assume that they want you to buy iphoto or aperture so they have removed the support in the camera raw bundle for the general system and limited it to their products

After upgrading I have rendered my work flow useless thanks to this
and I am really not happy about it

The Codex offered in windows from EM2 seems to be for vista or xp so not for mac

I would love to know why apple has decided to withhold or remove a function in that worked before and that so many of their customers used

I and many other photographers were using EP2 but I was using it to re-order ; rename and re-size the the image.

I would love a solution for this as it had been in the past in Leopard; to have the RAW file support available across the operating system and not just limited to Apple's own software;

Aperture and iphoto may be great for most users but I must use Adobe for more detailed work.

But I can only say that if you sell us an upgrade why put your customers in a position to loose more in the deal ; The ability to work with the systems they were using before they gave apple their money

I have spent my entire day scanning web pages trying to find a solution
and this seems to be the only answer

give us back our raw codex for the preview system

Really really not happy

Message was edited by: cbme

Message was edited by: cbme

May 24, 2010 1:20 AM in response to cbme

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

I assume that they want you to buy iphoto or aperture so they have removed the support in the camera raw bundle for the general system and limited it to their products

Why would you assume that?

The fact is that support for these Raws was moved to the apps to make updating and adding support faster ans easier. This was in direct response to demand from users of these apps.

The fact is that EM2 has not been updated to deal with the new realities of working on 10.6., and so you need to contact the makers of that to get them to upgrade the app. It is not Apple's job to upgrade third party apps.

And, of course, you can use all of Adobe's apps in conjunction with iPhoto or Aperture.

But you need to ask the makers of EM2 to update their application to run on 10.6

Regards

TD

May 24, 2010 6:51 AM in response to iau

NOT TRUE AT ALL . Em2 is the same Used the apple platform before and now
It is apple that has changed. Previous updates to RAW file support have been available across the operating system and not just limited to Apple's own software.

I can also no longer use apples preview
So clearly it is apple that has decided to remove access

or is there a plug in for the raw support that no one is talking about

May 24, 2010 7:03 AM in response to cbme

Every system update will require that some apps have to be updated to run on the new system. Many apps required an update to work as they did on 10.5. EM2 is one, so take it up with the makers. Apple do not make any guarantee that features present in one version of the OS will be available in the next.

Regards

TD

May 24, 2010 7:41 AM in response to iau

A solution from apple would be a really nice thing and the higher road to take.
the blame game and passing the buck is a disappointing way of dealing with something you have changed.
So again I was able to use preview and now I cant with raw.
and I certainly would not have upgraded to Snow if I had been warned or known.

And your response seem to indicate that you have indeed taken this function and made it unavailable to your customers

I love apple have never used any other system. I am asking for help not blame

Please find a solution and give us back the ability across the system

May 24, 2010 8:00 AM in response to cbme

You seem to be under some illusion about who I am.

When you joined this forum you agreed to the Terms of Use and they are over on the right of this page too. You're not talking to Apple. I don't work for Apple. Apple do not promise to read anything here. This forum is for Users to seek help +from other Users+. If you want to contact Apple use the Feedback page.

Regards

TD

Aug 3, 2010 3:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Just checked in on this thread after the latest RAW-updates today.

It seems you either don't understand the problem or refuse to accept that it is a potential problem for others.

We can agree that the Apple OS X supports certain RAW-formats. At least it says so in todays update, that it's "Supported by Mac OS X v10.6.4". If I can't view the RAW-files it isn't supported. Apple has supported RAW-formats for IView Media Pro (later Expression Media 2), but has stopped. Now they only update RAW-codes for Aperture and Iphoto. I don't like either - I use LIghtroom, but my organizing is done within EM2.

There's no need to defend Apple's choice of removing RAW-codecs from the OS (or at least only making them available to their own products). If other say it is a problem for them, then it is, whether or not Apple agrees. Remember, it's nothing wrong with the Iphone - you're just holding it the wrong way.

Aug 3, 2010 4:42 AM in response to iau

I understand the issue.

Apple are supplying Raw support for their apps - just like Adobe do.

From http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1072

This update extends RAW image format compatibility to Aperture 3 and iPhoto '09 for the following cameras...

It doesn't say that it extends the support to the OS, just to Aperture and iPhoto. Perhaps at some point in the future when the OS is updated, then it will be included in the OS. This is what happened at 10.6.4, for instance.

Apple have not removed Raw codecs from the OS, nor are they limiting them to their own products. But for those who are using the OS for support you will have to wait for an OS update. Or, heaven help us, you can ask the makers of your preferred application to support the Raw format.

Regards

TD

Snow Leopard and RAW codecs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.